LED christmas lights dimmed out

Old 12-13-11, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
LED christmas lights dimmed out

Got some of these LED xmas light strings, brand new in the box, Amazon.com: 100 LED Mini Holiday Christmas Lights Clear: Home & Garden three strings of these and put up outside the house the day after Thanksgiving. They've been fine, working nice until this morning I noticed they've all dimmed to where the light is barely noticeable. Plus, a few of the bulbs are completely out. Anybody have a good idea what could be causing described malfunction, especially on brand new sets of light strings like this.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 11:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Try replacing the bad bulbs.

Old 12-13-11, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Try replacing the bad bulbs.
Ok, will try that. What if that doesnt help, then what might I check next?

Old 12-13-11, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
Ok, will try that. What if that doesnt help, then what might I check next?
Couldn't replace the bulbs because there were like 10 or 12 out and I didn't have that many replacements, only a few that came with the sets. And they don't sell those kind of bulbs locally. Upon closer examination it seems some of the bulbs I thought were out completely still actually are lit but very very dim, almost imperceptible. I really don't think the bulbs are the problem (brand new, only used a week or two after all) but something else but will probably never know I guess. Too bad because these strings of lights are brand new and because they are LED they're supposed to be better and all that. I called GE consumer help about it and they said they don't have a clue what it could be and never heard of anyone else having the same issue with the product. weird. Only thing I can think of is maybe moisture got into the sockets or the plug(s) on the ends of the strings. But you'd think they could tolerate that, as they're "indoor and outdoor" lights. And I have other regular incandescent light strings outside and they're fine.

Old 12-14-11, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Two things come to mind.
One is that you have a timer or switch that has electronic switching and does not output clean ac power.
The other is that it is getting colder outside and your lights prefer warm weather......Try bringing them indoors.

What is new to me is that your set has replaceable led bulbs?
Is it possible your set is a counterfeit?

Old 12-14-11, 06:22 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi sgull,
Backing up a bit, are these three strings connected one to another, in series? Or all three plugged into the same power source? The chances that a failure with the string would cause ALL of the lights to go dim is very low. If there were something wrong with the first string that reduced the voltage to the next two, then all, but still just one problem. Drag an extension cord out there with some real power and test each string. Check the compatibility of the LEDs and the timer you are using. Also, make sure, as mentioned, these lights are for outside use.

As one who has spent untold hours swapping bulbs to get all of the lights working, you have me worried, as I had hoped one day the new lights would eliminate that problem. Do let me know how this turns out .

Bud

Old 12-14-11, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Two things come to mind. One is that you have a timer or switch that has electronic switching and does not output clean ac power. The other is that it is getting colder outside and your lights prefer warm weather......Try bringing them indoors. What is new to me is that your set has replaceable led bulbs? Is it possible your set is a counterfeit?
Greg:
1. I do have the strings of lights on a timer, but it's just one of those cheap mechanical dial type timers with the little moveable pins to set the times; I don't think there's really anything "electronic" inside it. I also have another regular incandescent string of lights plugged into the same timer and they're fine. Also the LED strings were working fine, as I mentioned, for a week or two since I first put 'em on the house, and they were plugged into the timer all that time. Last night (with the thought that maybe the timer was somehow causing the issue), I tried bypassing it with the LED strings and plugged them directly to the receptacle. But the result was the same - same dim thing happening.
2. Yeah it's kinda cold outside but nothing severe. In fact it was colder out the first few weeks of the installation and they worked fine then. The box says "Indoor or Outdoor". If they prefer warm weather there's no such indication on the box or in the instructions, etc. And anyway thats why I bought the dang things, to put outside, not inside.
3. Yeah each box comes with a little bag of a few replacement bulbs, so apparently they are replaceable. Anything is possible, but I highly doubt the sets are in any way counterfeit. Got 'em through Amazon which is usually a reliable source for such kinda consumer items.

Old 12-14-11, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
are these three strings connected one to another, in series? Or all three plugged into the same power source? Drag an extension cord out there with some real power and test each string. Check the compatibility of the LEDs and the timer you are using. Also, make sure, as mentioned, these lights are for outside use.
Bud:
Yes all three strings are connected to eachother in series. And the instructions say if you wanted to you could connect up to 30 strings together with no problem. In my last post here I mentioned the timer is just one of those inexpensive simple mecahnical dial type pin timers, and there's no way I know of to "check the compatibility" of it with the LEDs. All I know is the LEDs worked fine till just the other day while on the timer. And yes, right there on the box it says for indoor or outdoor use.
I'll have to go out like you say, and unplug each individual string of the lights and plug them in separately and see what they do then. I'll let you know.

Old 12-14-11, 10:48 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm also having the same issue

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm experiencing the same issue.

I run a Christmas tree lot & have 6 sets that I bought from Lowe's. Each set has 100 lights & only 2 sets are connected together. I noticed the other night that 1/2 of one of the sets looked like it was out. I got up on the ladder to take a look & try to see if any bulbs were out of the srting (there is an outter shell over the led bulbs). When I pressed the 1st one I got a small shock then noticed that the lights were on, but very dim. Each night another part goes dim. Last night, one of the sections would dim & brighten. Because of the span that the lights carry (about 100'), I use a steel wire to support the lights. I'm thinking that the sets may be shorting out on the wire. They have been working fine for the last 2 weeks without any problems. It only started this past Sunday. My plan tonight is to take the lights down & wrap the steel wire with electrical tape & then rehang the lights.

Old 12-14-11, 11:14 AM
okterrific10:
Mine aren't mounted on a steel wire like you did, but are just supported carefully hanging on some screws I have on the wooden fascia board, none of the sockets touching any of the screws or anything like that. On my strings there's like several random areas of particularly dim (so dim they look almost completely out) bulbs in sections of four or five lights next to each other, but the entire string(s) as I mentioned is at least I'd say 2/3 dimmer than their supposed to be, or the way they were when they were working right. My next task is to get up there on the ladder (after I get off workwith an extension cord and try and plug each individual string into the receptacle separately and see what they do, and while I'm at it try to see if there's anything obvious causing some sort of short or whatever. good luck with your problem. this is fun stuff eh?

Old 12-14-11, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
It's likely that they are defective.
Might be time to try a different type.

Old 12-14-11, 10:31 PM
After checking each string individually plugged directly into each outlet I was finally able to locate thefaulty string which was causing the others to dim as well through this process of elimination. On one of the plugs on the end of the faulty string I saw a small melted area. Here's a picture of it (shown on the left side with a good one next to it for comparison): http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ull1/010-1.jpg
No idea what could have cause it; somehow just defective like GregH suggested.

Old 12-15-11, 06:07 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glad you found what was causing your problem. I unfortunately, did not get a chance to work on mine (had no help). My problem isn't with the entire set. It's with 1/3 (yes I actually counted them) that were out of the lights on a set. Some are 1st 3rd, some are middle 3rd & some are last 3rd.