Pressure on/off switch?

Old 12-17-11, 09:30 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pressure on/off switch?

I've been building a few iron pipe lamps lately and have had a lot of fun. I've noticed various craftsmen and etsy sellers using gate valves and other mechanical devices to use as on/off switches. Here's an example:

Wall lamp Beer bottle Plumbing pipe & fittings by ZALcreations

Any ideas on how they're accomplishing this?

Thanks!
Jake

Old 12-18-11, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I can only guess how they accomplish it. Could be a rotary switch, could be flipping a small toggle switch.

I do, however, have great concerns on selling them to the public. While they are assembled using UL components, they are not approved by UL. (plumbing parts are not listed for use as electrical parts. And last I checked, bottles are not UL listed at all) There are huge liability issues here. How are they attaching them to the wall? The plumbing flange will not connect to a electrical box so where are they making their splices? Splices can only be made in an approved box/fixture. This light would be much better/safer if it was low voltage or with a cord and an in line switch, but would still need to be UL listed to be sold to the public.

Old 12-18-11, 10:04 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
And look at the price considering the amount of materials involved. Of course if I was rich I'd love to buy one just to take it apart.

Old 12-19-11, 12:52 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, all.

So that's not my shop, so I largely don't care much about what they're listing things as. I'm just curious how to construct a pressure switch myself

Any ideas where I might be able to start tracking down answers to crack this particular nut? Would a supply house of some sort have a bunch of switches I could review/test?

Thanks!

Old 12-19-11, 02:12 PM
I'd guess a NC momentary contact switch at the back of the valve. When you turn the valve stem in it depresses the switch opening the circuit. At the very least the seat of the valve would have to be drilled out to give access for seating the switch at the back of the valve. The valve stem would need a spring on the end to actually depress the switch other wise it would be too easy to crush the switch with the end of the valve stem.

The key problem would be finding a switch that would fit.

If you could modify the valve by drilling the stem threads out so the stem spun free without moving up and down you might be able to use a rotary switch.

Old 12-19-11, 02:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What the others have said. If you are using a gate valve, it may be possible to mount a single pole momentary normally open push button switch in the valve somehow (safely). The movement of the gate valve would press on the switch turning the light on. Releasing the pressure would allow it to go off again. Radio Shack has 'em.

Old 12-19-11, 02:13 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The way I read the ad, it says it has a rotary switch. I would think that a miniature rotary switch, with leads attached, could be used. The "valve" would be modified to simply spin, rather than screw out. Otherwise a miniature micro switch could be wired to open when to valve is closed and close when the valve is opened.

Old 12-19-11, 02:22 PM
If you could find room for an induction switch (touch switch) the valve could be a dummy. Just touching the metal anywhere would cause it to go of or on. Some induction switches even have multiple light levels.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: