Electrical doesn't seem right with ceiling fan.

Old 12-22-11, 10:49 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical doesn't seem right with ceiling fan.

I recently installed a Hunter ceiling fan in my bedroom. My house was built in the 1950's and the wiring I had to work with from the old light fixture was 3 black wires tied off together, 2 white wires tied off together, and one red wire. I wound up leaving the 3 black tied off and put them out of the way. I only used the red and the white wires. Something must be wrong because the remote for the fan/lights works fine but the wall switch is very inconsistent. From the switch it has turned the light on, not done anything, or the light came on for a second then went back off. I'm not sure if I should have used the black wires instead of the red. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-11, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
The blacks were a constant hot while the red is a switch controlled hot.

The wall switch will over-ride the remotes ability to turn the fan or light on if the switch is off.

Old 12-23-11, 06:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
All the fans in my house are set up the same way - black controls the fan, red controls the lights.

Old 12-23-11, 07:06 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
All the fans in my house are set up the same way - black controls the fan, red controls the lights.
But in the O/Ps case that probably isn't true. For him black is "always on" red is switched.

Old 12-23-11, 10:16 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To give a bit more detail. The red wire in the ceiling is connected to the "live in" wire of the fan/light. I'm thinking now that I should go back and switch the connection of the "live in" to the black wires and just cap off and leave the red. Right now the only way to get the light on is by the remote. The wall switch will turn everything off though. This just doesn't seem normal. So will my thought of switching out the red with the blacks work?

Old 12-23-11, 11:53 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, you can wire to the black and the switch will no longer control the fan and light. Just the remote will control it.