Dimmer switch / ceiling fan problem

Old 12-23-11, 01:05 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Dimmer switch / ceiling fan problem

I have a ceiling fan with lights that I want a dimmer switch on. The lights are on their own switch (not a two-way), the fan is on its own switch. I installed a dimmer switch on the lights and it works just fine... EXCEPT when the ceiling fan switch is on. If the fan is off, no problem; if the fan is on, the dimmer malfunctions: lights won't dim all the way, turn themselves back on after being turned off, turn themselves off after being turned on, etc.

I did the same thing to a similar light/fan combo downstairs and it works fine. What went wrong? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-11, 01:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 627 Votes on 579 Posts
Are you using an electronic or programmable dimmer switch or a old fashioned mechanical knob or slider type switch?

Old 12-23-11, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Can you remove the power to this circuit, pull the two switches out of the wall and take a picture of how you have them wired. It would help us to help you if we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-c-d-c/400914-how-put-pictures-your-post.html

Old 12-23-11, 02:56 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Fixed!

After taking the whole thing apart and re-doing it, it works like a charm. I think I just had some loose wires or something.

Old 12-23-11, 03:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 627 Votes on 579 Posts
Thank you for posting back and letting us know. I hate it when we don't know if someone got their problem fixed.