only 1 of 2 fluorescent tubes in fixture lights up

Old 12-29-11, 10:26 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
only 1 of 2 fluorescent tubes in fixture lights up

I have a small fluorescent fixture in one section of the basement. It is about 2 years old and uses (2) 20 inch long tubes. About a week ago only one of the tubes lit so I changed the tube and no luck, and also switched the unlit tube to the "good" side and it works fine.

Anyone have any experience with this? I checked the wiring from the ballast to the sockets and all are connected. I want to check with my digital VOM but I don't know what kind of voltage AC or DC and the amount I should be reading. Thanks for any info

Old 12-29-11, 11:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,458 Votes on 1,312 Posts
It could be a bad ballast. To check for certain I install two new bulbs. Unfortunately these days it's about the same price to replace the fixture as it is to get a new ballast.

Old 12-30-11, 06:45 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes I've been there & done that more than a few years ago with a 4 foot fluorescent fixture it was cheaper to buy a whole new unit than a replacement ballast.
This rectangular fixture is semi-recessed into the ceiling and there is enough room that I'm considering removing the entire guts of this fluorescent and installed a double screw-in light bulb socket and use CFLs or regular bulbs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: