bathroom fan

Old 01-12-12, 08:09 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom fan

My bathroom fan/light needs replacing but I would like to install a fan only with a pull string off/on. I am a renter so I do not want to get into adding switches etc. There is another light that is also wired to this one so one switch turns on everything. Is there a way to install a fan that I can turn on and off without having to add a wall switch?

Old 01-12-12, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 125 Posts
As a renter you should not be making any changes to a building you do not own. There are liability issues. Contact your landlord.

You would not need to add a switch. You would just replace the unit. A wall switch is more convenient than a pull chain. I have never seen an exhaust fan that had a pull chain except for the old thru the wall kitchen exhaust fans.

Last edited by pcboss; 01-13-12 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-13-12, 06:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,033 Votes on 992 Posts
As a landlord I would advise you not to do this and contact your landlord instead.

Old 01-13-12, 07:00 AM
B
Received 42 Votes on 38 Posts
Having the fan come on with the light can be a way to force people to at least use the fan for a minimum amount of time. Moisture from showers and other water related activities needs to be vented out and putting the fan on a pull chain puts that process into the users option list.

The big issue is as stated above, this is a landlord issue and not a renter thing to be fixing.

Bud

Old 01-13-12, 09:23 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A fan may be code mandated in your area. If so and the fan is not working correctly the landlord is required to replace/repair it. In most areas if he refuses you can have it replaced (this is not DIY for a tenant) at his expense.

Even if it is not required by local code, you are obligated to inform the landlord - it's his property.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: