Fluorescent ballast replacemtn

Old 01-18-12, 12:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent ballast replacemtn

Hi there, I'm trying to replace the ballast for a two-tube t8 fluorescent fixture in our kitchen. I bought a replacement on the advice of the guy at Home Depot, but when I got it home realized that there are significantly fewer wires on the new ballast. The old ballast has a white and black wire, 4 blues (2 to each tube), 2 red (one to each tube) and a yellow (which branches off to both tubes). The new ballast just has the white and black, a single red (which branches off to both tubes) and 2 blues (one to each tube).

I know almost nothing about electrical, so I'm not sure if this means that the two ballasts are incompatible and I bought the wrong thing, or if there is still a way to properly wire it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-12, 01:15 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Ballast

There should be a wiring diagram on the ballast. Also make sure it is the correct voltage and for the correct tubes.

Old 01-18-12, 01:19 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My guess is the old ballast was magnetic and the new one is electronic. Both will work. There should be a digram on the new ballast. Follow that diagram. If you have questions on the diagram if possible post a picture of the diagram.

Edit: OOps Wirepuller types quicker.

Old 01-18-12, 01:53 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for your replies. I have confirmed that the ballasts are both 120V and are for t8 tubes (both appear to be electronic). I wasn't able to get a good photo of the wiring diagrams for the existing ballast, but I did a quick (sorry about the quality) sketch to show what the two look like.

I guess I'm not clear on how I handle the fact that there are so many additional wires on the old ballast. Do I need to connect multiple wires from the fixture to a single wire on the new ballast? This is the wiring diagram for each ballast:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Old 01-19-12, 06:17 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I remember having the same "What the heck" moment the first time this happened to me as well. I must have looked at those diagrams for ten minutes before just hooking it up and sure enough it still worked. Could stop thinking about it the rest of the day that they should have figured out years ago how to do it with fewer wires....

PS, nice diagram, thank you very much for including that.

Old 01-19-12, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Ignore the additional wires from the old ballast. Make the connections to match the diagram on the ballast.