Another Ballast replacement ...T5

Old 01-20-12, 07:09 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another Ballast replacement ...T5

Since we are on the topic of ballast wiring I thought I would ask mine too. I have a High Output T5 light fixture that needs a new ballast. I purchased a lightolier controls HDF239T5 for the replacement. Now my fixture and burnt original ballast are not dimmable, but apparently the ballast I purchased is. It is a three wire setup with a white, black and tan(dimmer).

Everything is all wired up except the dimmer wire and go figure it does not light the lamp. My question is what do I need to do with the dimmer wire to let the ballast know it needs to run at full power? My thought is to wire it in with either the white or the black wire, but I am not sure which or if this will tell the ballast to run at full power. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP!!

Old 01-20-12, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It does not look like you need the tan wire connected.

Product Catalog Datasheets - Fluorescent - Philips Lighting Electronics

Does your wiring match the diagram on the ballast or in the PDF?

Old 01-20-12, 09:05 AM
B
see this is why I am glad I posted. Ok, so basically I have everything hooked up, but apparently not correctly. I must have mixed up some of the wires or the ballast is bad.

Old 01-20-12, 09:55 AM
B
Ok, so here is what the light is doing ... one bulb flickers, then pops on for a second and then goes dark. The other bulb does absolutely nothing. I rechecked all of the wires and connections with the diagrams and it all look correct. The only area that could be an issue would be where I connect in with the yellow wires. What I did was simply cut the old ballast wires (blue and red), took one blue and one red spliced them and then connected them to one of the yellow wires. I then did the same for the other pair and yellow wire. I don't see plus or minus's, so I assume how I connect them won't really matter.

Old 01-20-12, 10:43 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Number one test for fluorescents is new bulbs.

Old 01-20-12, 01:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Can you post a pic of the fixture wiring?

Without looking back I don't believe the yellow was needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: