Lights wont come on - hopefully simple fuse issue

Old 01-23-12, 11:11 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lights wont come on - hopefully simple fuse issue

Hi there,

First time poster...

I hope this is a simple problem that someone can help diagnose.

Our mains power is still working (I'm here, typing) but the lights downstairs have gone off. Both upstairs and downstairs went off spontaneously by themselves, as opposed to going off when a bulb pops when you switch them on. I went into the fuse box with a torch and had a look. Two fuse buttons were out. I pushed one in and the lights upstairs came back on again. However, the other one, clearly operating the downstairs lights, wont push in. It goes in, but comes straight back out again. Usually you push the fuse button in and it clicks and stays in and the lights come back on (can you tell I don't have a clue about this sort of thing ;-)?) but it goes in, the lights remain off, and when I let the button go it comes straight out again. I'll try and post a picture...

Ok, this is it. Its a Wylex. 6 way. Its the button second from the left thats out and wont go back in.

Wylex Standard fuseboxes, part 1

Coincidentally ours is also missing the one on the left.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks very much

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-12, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Maybe Marc, our European expert, will have an answer. Sounds like a short to me.

Old 01-24-12, 07:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If there is anything but lights on the circuit unplug all and try again. If the breaker now resets start plugging in one item at a time.

If it is all lights or unplugging things doesn't work. Disconnect the wire to the breaker and try the breaker again.