splitting a ceiling lamp into two circuits

Old 01-23-12, 05:32 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
splitting a ceiling lamp into two circuits

We are remodeling a kitchen. As part of the project, we want to change the ceiling light above the stove (controlled by a single-position switch at the doorway) to two separate lights. Ideally, i'd use a device similar to an in-wall fan/light controller. (This is not my first choice because of the 2-3 amp power limit power that these devices can handle. It *may* be enough, I just don't know yet. AND, I assume that replacing the fan's inductive load with an equivalent ampere resistive load is not a problem.)

I've looked at the various home automation suppliers' products. They seem to sell two types of simple remote-control devices. One basically replaces the existing single-circuit switch with a receiver/remote sender pair (which does me no good). The other device allows me to remotely control a table lamp at the point where it plugs into a wall socket.

Electrically, I could use two of the second type of device, buried in the ceiling, to control the (now-split) lamp circuits - and I could position the remote where the existing switch is located. But code does not allow a buried plug-in device in the ceiling.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-12, 06:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Use a duplex switch and run cable to each light.

Old 01-23-12, 07:03 PM
B
i'd really hate to tear up the walls and ceiling to thread a second 14/2.
please shoot holes in my preferred solution - use a fan/light control, (example: Hunter Fan - Controls - Two wire fan/light wall control for Hunter Original fans - 27189), put the receiver in a jbox in the ceiling and feed one lamp from the "fan" circuit and one from the "lamp" circuit. the sending unit goes in the wall where the existing on-off switch is located.

Old 01-23-12, 08:27 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So long as the Jbox remains accessible that should be okay. You may be able to put it in the Jbox or base of the each light.

I know nothing about them but have you looked at X10 controllers?

Old 01-24-12, 12:44 PM
B
i've looked at x10, GE, etc... they all are intended to be used in an open/accessible setting (e.g., plug a lamp into the controller, plug the controller into the wall.) while it would work perfectly well electrically to plug things together and hide it all in the ceiling, it just didnt seem the right thing to do. maybe i'm too law abiding.