Poltergeist in my Ceiling Fan Lights!

Old 01-26-12, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Poltergeist in my Ceiling Fan Lights!

1. I had owned my Hunter ceiling fan for around 3 years when one day the lights started blinking in a strobe like fashion. I tried putting new light bulbs in to no avail. So I took the light fixture apart and studied it over. After my examination I noticed that there was a box in the wiring harness that seemed to me to have no purpose. So I simply took the twist cap off the black wire coming from the light switch and coupled them with the red wire that was connected to the black wire that went to the lights. In effect, by passing the box without removing the box or leaving any wire exposed. I pulled the light switch, Walla! The Poltergeist was gone and the light worked perfectly. Being curious about the box, I called Hunter’s Customer Service line 1-888-830-1326 and ask about the box and told them what I had done. I was told that the government makes them put the box in all ceiling fans to restrict how big a light bulb you put in them. I told the lady, so not only is the government in my toilet but now they’re in my ceiling fan too. She laughed, and then I said, I bet to replace the box was around $35 Bucks, and she said “Yes that's right.” I thanked her and said I was on my way to my mothers house to pry the government out of her Hunter ceiling fan next. Oh and one more tip, if you have to get the serial number on the fan for Hunter Service depart for parts, use the camera on your cell phone to take a picture of it. Because it faces up to the ceiling and is impossible to see, and a mirror just turns it back ward. It worked best for me.

Last edited by SkatTraxs; 01-26-12 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-12, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, the limiter is a known cause of problems such as you had.