Basement Recessed Lighting Question

Old 02-02-12, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Recessed Lighting Question

Hello,

I'm in the process of finishing my basement. I am having a hard time figuring out how many recessed lights I should install. The overall finished basement area is going to be about 25' x 13', but I have to box in around my duct work that is on one side of the room. So, this leaves me with a ceiling area of 25' x 9'6" and a ceiling height between 7' and 7'3".

With the ceiling being around the 7' mark and having to box in around the HVAC ducts, I am left confused on how many lights I should install and what size. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-12, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
I'm not sure recessed lights are the best option since they tend to send their light down in a cone shaped pattern. With a low ceiling you may end up with a series of illuminated spots on the floor with relative darkness around. But, it all depends on the fixtures and bulbs you choose. Some focus their light down in a tighter beam while other spread is out over a much larger area. I would choose a fixture that spreads the light out as much as possible.