Pendant light into swag light

Old 02-15-12, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pendant light into swag light

Hi! I have searched this forum for a completely satisfactory answer and have not yet found it. I have recently purchased a pendant light and wanted to install it as a swag light over my bar. I do NOT want to take the route of going into the ceiling and installing a junction box (I am renting, so want no damages to fix later). I want to install this as a swag light.
The light fixture has three wires coming from it, two are insulated (obviously hot and neutral), and also a bare ground wire. The swag kit has a 3-prong plug that goes into the wall outlet. The question is: what is to be done with the ground wire?

1). Snip it off, the 3-prong plug completely does the job of grounding the fixture.

2). Tie the grounding wire off to any metal portion of the light fixture, high up and out of the way.

3). Use electrical tape to secure it to where the wire nuts are connecting the fixture's wires and the swag kit's wires.

4). Leave it hanging loose. Square up last will and testament. Stand in filled kiddie pool wearing a suit of armor. Take firm hold of metal fixture. Enjoy new hairdo.

I have seen the first three answers on this or other forums, more or less the fourth answer too.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-12, 10:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There is no really good way to do this. Closest I can think is to use a surface race (Wiremold) single gang box fastened to the swag chain to make your connections. You would put a blank cover on the box. The box could be painted to blend in or to be an accent. You would probably need to drill holes in the box for strain relief clamps or rubber grommets. I would substitute #16 3 conductor SOJ and a cord cap (plug) with ground for the 2 conductor cord in the swag kit.

Old 02-15-12, 02:29 PM
Received 24 Votes on 24 Posts
Connect the bare ground wire of the fixture to the swag kit cord wire that goes through to the ground pin of the power plug.