LED replacement lighting

Old 02-17-12, 11:17 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED replacement lighting

I know I can't be the only one having this issue, but I can't seem to find a good resource as to why it is happening and how to stop it. As a new member here, I'm hoping to gain some insight from someone expert in electronics or someone who has been successful in a similar project. Here's the problem:

I recently purchased a new house where the previous owner installed these home depot recessed lighting fixtures:

3 in. GU10 Nickel Gimbal Recessed Kit-LK3GBN U at The Home Depot

Nothing fancy, but they have 50w halogen GU10 base bulbs in them. In the interest of saving electricity, I purchased these GU10 LED replacement bulbs:

Amazon.com: LED Gu10 Dimmable 9w Cool White Rotundity Cree Gu10 LED Light 3*3w 9w Lamp Bulb 110v-265v 6000k Please Note :The Bulbs Is Very Brighter , but the Size Is 50x60cm .(1.9685039inches X 2.3622047inches) the High Is 2.3622047inches Thanks for

When I replaced the first bulb of 2 on a 2-light circuit, everything was fine. The dimmer is a LED-specific dimmer and everything worked as it should. When I replaced the second bulb in the 2-bulb lighting circuit, suddenly both bulbs started blinking, even when the circuit should have been off!

From reading on the internet, I've read reports that I may need to install a transformer. However, from my (admittedly very limited) knowledge of electronics, a transformer should take my AC current and convert it into DC current. The Amazon page rates the bulbs at an input of AC 100V-260V. My guess is that these bulbs would no longer work.

Is a transformer really necessary for this setup? If so, could someone recommend (a) a transformer for purchase (brand, sizing, etc.) and where in the circuit it should be installed (before dimmer, on individual light cans, etc.)?

For what it's worth, this is not the only circuit in the house that I have this issue on. I used these Home Depot bulbs in an 8 light circuit:

18-Watt (90W) LED Flood Light Bulb-ECS 30 V2 WW FL 120 at The Home Depot

With 7 LED lights and one halogen on the circuit, everything works as expected with the LED-specific dimmer. The second I change out the halogen for the 8th LED, I get that random blinking again, and again the lights stay lit even when the circuit should be off.

This is really frustrating me, so any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

-Dave

Old 02-17-12, 12:19 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Second, a transformer converts ac to ac. It takes some electronics to convert ac to dc, but that all beside the case. If a transformer is necessary, I want to know why, because I don't think so.

What I think I know: LEDs require very little energy to light, therefore when you replace that last halogen, the small amount of energy that is leaking through the dimmer is enough to light them even when supposedly off. When that halogen is in there, it essentially absorbs that small amount of energy so the LEDs don't see it. Solution might be a better dimmer as the mfgs are learning as well.

Pretty much the same solution for the lights not working. You could test with a standard light switch to confirm that the lamps do light when powered on directly from 120 volts, but I suspect they will. I just happened to purchase a couple of LED bulbs today and spent some time reading all of the fine print. One specifically recommended the dimmer manufactured by the same company because it was designed for their bulbs and tested with same. In this world of generics we often look at statements like that and assume they are just pushing us to buy their product, but not all LEDs are built the same and in this evolving technology, the right dimmer might be the best choice. Which one would work with your lamps ????

Your desire to dump those halogens is absolutely on track, unfortunately it isn't a 1, 2, 3, process, but it will be worth it when done. Also, save your receipts and some part of the package to be sure they last as long as advertised, or at least guaranteed.

Bud

Old 02-17-12, 03:06 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bud!

I don't know if it helps, but this is the dimmer I'm using:

Skylark Contour Single-Pole/3-Way Dimmable CFL/LED Dimmer, White-CTCL-153PDH-WH at The Home Depot Dimmer&storeId=10051

Although the one I have is not a 3-way...

Are there better dimmers on the market that you would suggest?

-Dave

Old 02-17-12, 04:01 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I don't have any compatibility information, but some may be out there. I would search Ecosmart compatible dimmers. I tried, but a lot to sort through. I read a couple of the reviews on that bulb and dimming issues were mentioned. See if HD can come up with one that will work as it is their bulb and it does say dimmable. If they can't find a dimmer that will work then they get their lamps back .

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: