How to Hang Ceiling Fan - May Require A Piece

Old 02-18-12, 11:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to Hang Ceiling Fan - May Require A Piece

Good Afternoon!

A couple of years ago, my wife and I bought a cheap, small fan at Lowes and I hung it in our place at the time. When moving out, I took it with me and it has been in the garage ever since.

This weekend, I decided to hang it in a room upstairs to replace a light fixture we have. I got the fan out, cleaned it, and examined the pieces as well as removing the light fixture to see how it would attach.

Unfortunatly, it seems I'm missing a piece or something. I went and bought a kit from Lowes, but don't think it had all I need. Below are pictures. Please take a look and let me know what you think I need to get OR suggestions on how to hang it as is.

Pictures:

The Fan

Top of Fan

The Junction Box It Needs To Connect To in Ceiling

The Parts I Bought Recently

Fan With New Part Sitting Inside (No Room for Pole)

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Old 02-18-12, 12:51 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
That is a flush mount not down rod mounted fan. A flat bar is mounted to the ceiling box then the fan canopy fastens to it. You seem to be missing it. Depending on the fan it may have been convertible to down rod but I don't see parts for that even if it was. Maybe Google the make and model number and see if you can find a manual.

You may also need to replace the existing ceiling pancake box* with a fan rated pancake box or cut through into the void above and install a fan rated old work box depending on how the current pancake box is fastened.

*Note if the current box uses 8-32 machine screws for mounting it is probably not fan rated.

Old 02-18-12, 01:02 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay - Thanks.

Is this a part I can get at a Home Depot or Lowes or is it nonstandard and specific to the fan? If you have a link handy to the part, it would be helpful, but please don't go to any trouble.

Thanks

Old 02-18-12, 01:05 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Please see the edit to my post above. As to can you get the part, maybe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=part...iw=960&bih=502

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: