14/3 for wiring up lights

Old 02-25-12, 09:38 AM
14/3 for wiring up lights

I found a 14/3 conductor tucked in my basement ceiling that was left there for wiring an electrical outlet on my kitchen island. I never had it hooked up so decided to use it for wiring two lights in my basement. The 14/3 conductor has 120 between red and white and 120 between black and white and or course, 240 between red and black. Can I tie all the white together, use 1 hot (red) for one light and the other hot (black), for the other switch? These are two seperate lights in two seperate rooms with two seperate switch.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-12, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
It is odd that this cable was for the kitchen island because that would be required to be a 20 amp circuit which would require 12ga wire. Make sure this 14/3 cable comes from the panel, it is alone (should be a 2 pole breaker per 2011 code) and is a 15 amp breaker. Also, a kitchen island is required to have at least one receptacle.

You have a multiwire circuit in that 14/3 which is two 15 amp circuits available, each sharing one neutral. One circuit is more than enough to run both lights (and more). I suggest putting that 14/3 cable in a box that will be accessible later, such as the first light fixture box, and run a new 14/3 down to your first switch. (The red will be your switch leg in the new 14/3) Then run a 14/2 over to your 2nd switch, and a 14/2 from that switch to your 2nd light.

You might want to run the other circuit in the old 14/3 down the wall to a receptacle box for future receptacles in the basement.