tubigjoe [moved] basement recessed light ceiling radiant heat

Old 03-05-12, 09:21 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tubigjoe [moved] basement recessed light ceiling radiant heat

hi all I'm new to home remodeling and would appreciate inputs.
I bought a house that has a finished basement and no lights installed.
Now the last owner probably didn't install any recessed lighting because of the radiant heat. I'm not sure but i cut up a small part of the ceiling and noticed that it is insulated, then foiled, then comes the plex radiant heating system on top of the floor.

Now I've been doing a lot of reading and I wanted to install a non-ic 4inch recessed lighting. now I do have a 5inch depth so it just hits the heating foil.
My question is, if I remove 4-5inches of insulation and staple to make sure it doesn't move or get closed to the non-ic recessed light fixtures. Would the fixture damage the foil? Is it a fire hazard or ruin the radiant heating plex tube?
What is the best way to install it?

Also is it ideal to tap into a existing receptacle to run 10-14 recessed lighting or should i just run a new line directly to the electrical panel? does anybody know how much wattage can a 15amp hold? Or should i use a 20amp? If i run a new line?

And cutting the Sheetrock, is it okay if i cut the Sheetrock off the beam staple the 14/2 wires and just patch it up? Or do i have to drill a hole on the beam to feed the electrical?

Also does anybody know why a light would flicker when an appliance would turn on like my Frigidaire professional dual fridge/freezer combo with a sep ice maker. When ever it turns on my lights would flicker?

Any answer is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-05-12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 10:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I wanted to install a non-ic 4inch recessed lighting
Why do you want to install non-IC lights.

Old 03-13-12, 12:53 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not an electrician, but here's some info.

15A circuit can handle up to 12A continuous load (which ends up being 1440W).. 20A circuit can handle 16A continuous load (1920w).. so depending on what else is on that circuit with the receptacle, and what you plan to plug in, the wattage of the lights, you can determine whether to put on the same receptacle or add new wiring.. I think lights are often (but don't have to be) on a separate circuit.. at least if your outlets trip, there's light.

you can't just put the wires under the sheetrock and patch it up.. when in studs they have to be 1.25 in from the edge of either side of the stud or joists.. the problem with just burying the wires in the sheetrock, is that at some later point in time you may nail something into there forgetting there's a wire behind..

Mod Note: The code considers continuous 3 hours or more

Last edited by pcboss; 03-13-12 at 05:32 AM. Reason: correction in math

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: