Ceiling fan 3 wire, middle run, 2 legs (stay hot) out - question

Old 03-06-12, 03:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Ceiling fan 3 wire, middle run, 2 legs (stay hot) out - question

Hello experts – I need a little help wiring in a ceiling fan. I did read another similar question and answer here but it still was not clear to me on the final wiring setup.

I will be installing a Hunter combination slide switch model 27183 that has 4 wires out (Green, Black, Blue Red) to independently run the fan and lights. The wall switch box has 12/2 in with the neutrals (white) tied together and running up the wall to the ceiling fan box, the grounds tied together in the same manor and the blacks (hot) are tied together in the same manor with an addition of a small 4” pigtail added on at the union. There is an additional 4th red wire running up the wall to the ceiling fan box. I removed an old 70’s style rotary dimmer which controlled the fan and light at the same time. Low light, low fan – etc.

In addition, the ceiling fan is middle run with 2 legs out for additional receptacles that remain hot at all times. In the ceiling fan box the whites are all tied together as are the blacks and grounds and the red wire is dangling by itself. The ceiling fan has black (marked motor), blue (lights) and white (neutral) wires coming off of it.

I went to the library today and looked at 5 different home wiring books but none of them addressed a middle run setup. Am I over thinking this setup by figuring that if I do it like the book said on an end run that every time the dimmer switch (or fan switch for that matter) is lowered that the voltage to the receptacles will drop also and if the switch’s are turned off then no power to the receptacles. That can’t happen – they have to remain hot.

I am obviously missing something here and need some professional input. I am a jack of all trades but this one has me stumped. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-12, 04:58 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The fans black and the fans red/blue go to the red wire at the ceiling. The fan white goes to the white in the ceiling box. The switch at the wall can not be a dimmer and controls power both to fan light and fan motor. Individual switches on the fan or a remote is used to control the separate functions.

If you want each function to be controlled at the wall you will need to find another source of power for the receptacle.

Old 03-07-12, 03:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply ray2047 - I guess that is why none of the books addressed a middle run configuration. Luckily the $40.00 remote units are on clearance here at my local big blue box store for $5.00. Have a great hump day and thanks again!