Ceiling Fan Sparking/Popping

Old 03-12-12, 01:25 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ceiling Fan Sparking/Popping

Hi,
I have a ceiling fan, that seems to be sparking when running. When I bought my house the fan was already installed. I took a look at the wiring and I notice the following: I have a twin and earth coming in from the ceiling. The fan's earth wire is connected to the base of the fan mounting. The earth from the twin and earth is NOT connected to anything. Could this be causing a problem? Should I connect this?

Thanks
A

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-12, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Most of us are not familiar with wiring in your country, so we'll need to wait until our expert from France logs on. But in the meantime, do nothing to the fan but remove power to it and do not run it. There is obviously something wrong either with the fan itself or the wiring.

Old 03-12-12, 07:40 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fixed

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. Since I posted the question, I had already gone down to my hardware store and got a extra block connector and a piece of wire. I connected the earth from the twin and earth, to the base of the fan, which is connected to the fans earth.

I also cut off the existing wires connected to the existing block connector and reconnected them. It appears that the person who installed the fan might of sliced the wires coating and may of been shorting when the fan was vibrating.

I have since put the fan on and it appears to be working correctly with no problem.

I would still be curious if anyone has any input, problem seems to be solved though.

** Guy at hardware store was very helpful, said to make sure I do not touch the wires

Cheers,
A