12 volt outdoor lighting

Old 04-07-12, 07:20 AM
12 volt outdoor lighting

I am looking for a 12 volt, transformer that I can use for outdoor lighting. I would like to run 4-6 of these 10 watt led floodlights in our yard, and running into our back woods where there is a storage shed, and back trails (about a 300ft run). I figured that this would be alot easier, and of course safe instead of line voltage, especially since it runs into our back woods, mounted on trees.

Downside, I need a tranformer with all the regular features (short circuit protection/overload protection) that a regular outdoor one has, but it will be used INSIDE, in a bedroom/office where the closest outlet is since there are no exterior outlets. This is where our irrigation timer is located also. All the 12 volt lighting tranformers I've seen are for outdoor only? It doesn't have to have a photocell, or a timer, since it will be turned on and off only when needed by a remote controlled switch, or an external basic timer.

We asked an electrician about adding an outdoor outlet, and he said $250 since he needs to get to the middle of the attic, and somehow get through our fully insulated exterior and interior walls Out of our budget right now.

Of course, since this is in a bedroom/office, and probably located sitting on the floor under a desk, I need a UL listed, safe, cool running one, that has all the saftey overload/short circuit features. I prefer the unit to be under $40 because of our money situations.

Thankyou!

The light that I will be using, and possibly some similar LED or small halogen ones.
LED 10W FLOOD WASH LIGHT LIGHTING 12V 10WATTS WATERPROOF FLOODLIGHT LAMP BULB (847263054285) | eBay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-12, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
We asked an electrician about adding an outdoor outlet, and he said $250 since he needs to get to the middle of the attic, and somehow get through our fully insulated exterior and interior walls
I doubt that. There is surely a room with an outside wall that has an unrestricted* receptacle. An example would be a bedroom with a receptacle on an outside wall. You would locate your outdoor receptacle** about 4" left or right of the inside receptacle if it was going to be flush mounted or directly over the inside receptacle if surface mounted. Surface mount is the easiest. This is an easy DIY project.

*Note: Examples of restricted circuits that can't be used are bath, kitchen, and dinning room. receptacles.

**Note: Outside receptacle would be a GFCI. A GFCI receptacle can be used on an AFCI breaker.