Installing 1/2 hot combination switch

Old 05-21-12, 05:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing 1/2 hot combination switch

I need to replace an existing single pole/throw switch, in a double gang box, with a combination switch, and on the new switch, i want the plug to be hot, and have the switch controlling the light.

The existing set up is two switches, each controlling one light. As far as I can tell, without pulling them completely out of the box, is that the negative wire is used as the "breaker" wire for each switch.

How do I wire the new switch. I bought a Leviton T5225 for this.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-12, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There is no "negative" in AC wiring.

How many cables enter the switch box? How many wires, of what color, are in each cable? Which wires, by color, from which cable(s), are connected to each switch?

Old 05-21-12, 07:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are 3 wires coming in, that look like standard house electric wires.

All three have 3 wires inside them, a white, a black and a copper wire.

In this setup, all three of the white wires are tied together.

the copper wires are tied together and there are two leads that go to the ground terminal on each of the switches.

the black wires - on the switch I don't want to replace, one goes to top common terminal, one into the bottom of the switch, there is a jumper black wire from the bottom common terminal to the switch I want to replace. It goes into the bottom of the back and then the 3rd black wire also goes into the top back of the switch I want to replace.

Hopefully you can figure that out. I didn't pull it all out, just took the cover off and tried to figure out what was going where. For certain though, the switch I want to replace only has the two black wires connected to it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-21-12, 07:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
All three have 3 wires inside them, a white, a black and a copper wire.
A wire is a single conductor. You have three 2-conductor cables with ground.

the copper wires are tied together and there are two leads that go to the ground terminal on each of the switches.
Ignore the grounds for now they aren't relevant to function.

the black wires - on the switch I don't want to replace, one goes to top common terminal, one into the bottom of the switch,
Unless this is a 3-way switch there is no common.

One black wire should have two pigtails with one pigtail to each switch. On the combo switch/receptacle the pigtail you are removing goes to one of the two brass screws that have a tab between them.

You add a pigtail to the whites and connect it to the silver screw of the receptacle.

The individual black wire from the old switch goes to the brass screw of the switch that does not have a tab connecting it to another screw.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-21-12 at 08:06 PM.