wiring fan to switched outlet

Old 06-05-12, 10:28 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wiring fan to switched outlet

I have been reading up on this all over and i have found several different answers, and other posts or other questions that are just confusing me now.

so since my drill battery is charging, i figured i might as well double check with everyone.

i have an out let that is controlled by a switch. the powered wiring goes to the outlet first, than from there a switch is connected. so i know i have to splice into the wiring that is at the outlet. I have attached pics so everyone can see what i am working with. I have not yet dropped any airing for the fan, everything you see is as it stand right now, just pulled the cover off.

now i already have 3 cables coming into the outlet box, but nothing else is switched. my only guess is the power goes from here to the other outlets that are always powered, and this is just the only one on a switch. Is there going to be a problem if i run a 4th cable into here for the fan?

so if its good to just drop another cable into here and go i just want to make sure i have everything in order.

connect all whites with white.

connect all blacks with black

run black wire from bundle to gold side of outlet with a bridge

run white wire from white bundle to silver side with bridge

now where should my white and black wire from the fan connect once its dropped so i can use the switch for the can only?

thanks for any help and advice.

Old 06-05-12, 11:40 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
now i already have 3 cables coming into the outlet box, Is there going to be a problem if i run a 4th cable into here for the fan?

so if its good to just drop another cable into here and go i just want to make sure i have everything in order.

connect all whites with white.

connect all blacks with black

run black wire from bundle to gold side of outlet with a bridge

run white wire from white bundle to silver side with bridge

now where should my white and black wire from the fan connect once its dropped so i can use the switch for the can only?
The cable for your fan goes to the switch box, not to the receptacle box.

Since you're not adding an additional cable in the receptacle box, then you wire the receptacle the way you described - all blacks spliced together with a pigtail for the receptacle and all neutrals spliced together with a pigtail for the receptacle. Connect the pigtails - black to brass and white to silver - by bending and crimping the stripped end of each pigtail around a terminal screw and tightening that down, It's a more reliable connection than the back-stabs you have now.

At the switch you will then have line power on the black wire and house neutral on the white wire. Connect the power for the fan by splicing the neutrals together and connecting the two black wires to the two terminals on the switch.

It looks like you have metal boxes. If so, the box must be tied to ground. You may also connect the device to ground, but it is not required.

One question: It sounds like you're planning to install a plain fan, without a light, and you want the switch to control the power to the fan. Is that correct?

Old 06-05-12, 11:58 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NashKat1- you made my day. fishing the wiring to the switch is going to be so much easier. and yes this is a fan only, no light.

i understand now. since i will tie in all the wires at the outlet, i will get power sent to the switch. than go straight to the fan.

man i have been reading so many different things up on this, it all became a blur. i cant believe i didnt make this connection earlier.

thanks

Old 06-05-12, 12:09 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
i have been reading so many different things up on this, it all became a blur. i cant believe i didnt make this connection earlier.
That's OK, we all get memory freezes now and then. Enjoy your new fan!

BTW, if you're installing the ceiling box for this, make sure it's rated to support the weight of a fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: