Hunter Ceiling Fan Install

Old 07-22-12, 06:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hunter Ceiling Fan Install

I am trying to install a Hunter ceiling fan with the remote receiver. The wiring instructions call for only attaching the black, white and green wires to the unit. I have a black, white, red and green wire coming out of my ceiling.

I tried only attaching the black, white and green wires. I capped the red wire. This did not work.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-12, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

Have you made sure that the power is on at the breaker and the wall switch? Assuming that you took a fan or light fixture down, how was that wired? How did you attach the wires from the remote receiver to the fan or fan/light combo? Does the remote transmitter have a good battery in it? Did you check that the dip switch settings in the ceiling unit and the hand-held unit are set the same?

How is the wall switch wired - or the wall switches? Do you have one standard switch, or two, or a combo f/light control in the wall?

Old 07-22-12, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have two switches at the wall? How is/are the switch/switches wired? Have you tried the red instead of the black wire?

Old 07-22-12, 08:31 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Nashkat1:
Yes, I verified power at the breaker and switch. The fan I took down was wired as my house wiring. It had a black, white, red and green wire that were all attached. I attached the receiver as per the instructions on the fan. The receiver had a black and white wire that I attached to the house wires. The rest of the wires were outlets to the fan itself. I did not try to run the fan via the remote, I used the wall switches. I wonder if the fan can only be ran from the remote?

Ray:
I have two switches in the wall. One switch ran the old fan and the other switch ran the old light. No, I have not tried the red wire. I will give that a go this afternoon. I guess the red could be the power.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-12, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Actually both black and red are probably power since you have two switches. Try the black again but be sure try both switches on.

Old 07-22-12, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I wonder if the fan can only be ran from the remote?
More than likely. All the switch does is kill or restore the power to the receiver. With most remotes, any time the power is restored after being off the fan will only start up with the remote. A power restore resets the controller to "off" as a safety feature.

Can't think why I didn't think to ask you that at first!

Old 07-22-12, 05:47 PM
Well, I think I learned something. The fan will not work unless the light module underneath is plugged in!

Everything was getting good power and I could not figure what was wrong. I plugged the light module in as a desperate attempt and it worked. Evidently there is something in there that controls the switching.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help. It was an interesting "easy install".

Thanks!

Old 07-22-12, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.