Balast issues

Old 07-23-12, 10:53 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Balast issues

I apologize if this is a redundant thread.. I looked & didn't see any other threads on the subject.

I recently changed three balasts at work. The old ones were the old magnetic type. I brought one in to the electrical supply store & purchased the new electronic equivalents. The old balasts only have 1 blue wire & the new ones have two. After doing some research I decided to simply cap off one of the blue wires. The first one I changed works great. It's been three weeks & has had no problems other than it took s few seconds to warm up at first. The other 2 fixtures are a different story. They worked for about a week.. now they are extremely dim & the new bulbs that I put in when I changed the balasts already have black rings around 1 end.

All 3 fixtures are exactly the same. They each hold 2 single pin 8' bulbs.

Old 07-23-12, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've moved this post to the forum that includes light fixtures, thinking that might help you get more views and replies.

----------------------

After doing some research I decided to simply cap off one of the blue wires.
It is rare, IMX, that eliminating an original wire will allow a fixture to function as it is intended to.

That said, if you will post a picture of one of the original ballasts and a picture of one of the new ballasts, with each showing the wiring diagram that is on the label, that may help us see what is going on. See How To Include Pictures In Your Post.

It is possible that there may be a problem with the wiring away from the ballasts, at the tombstones, but it seems unlikely that that would suddenly affect two out of three fixtures.

Old 07-23-12, 11:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
When changing from magnetic to electronic best advice is to use the wiring diagram on the new ballast. Just because a lead on the new ballast or jumper wasn't needed with a magnetic ballast doesn't mean they aren't needed for the new electronic ballast.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: