Low voltage recessed light problem

Old 07-29-12, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low voltage recessed light problem

Hi guys, got a small issue with my recessed low voltage lights that I need some advice with.

When I did my remodel several years ago I put in some low voltage recessed light cans in my kitchen and bathroom uninsulated ceilings. They are the 4" size that take the MR16 bulbs, and I think I purchased them at HD.

They must be really cheap or something, cause the connector plates where the bulbs plug into keep burning up. Not literally burning up, but what I think is happening is they get pretty hot and then the sockets get loose enough to where the pins from the bulbs no longer make contact and the light will not turn on. The only way to fix it is to replace the connector plate with a new one. I was able to locate some on line so I bought a bunch of them and have been replacing them as they go bad.

But, I'm getting tired of this game and would like to know if this is normal, or if there is anything else I can do about the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-12, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hey, Randy. About the only thing I can think of is make sure the contacts on the connector are sprung enough to make really good contact with the bulb pins. In addition the bulbs could be the culprit by not making good contact with the keepers. There are different qualities in bulbs, some advertising 3000 hours while others 10000 to 18000 hours. May want to invest in better bulbs. See ya.

Old 07-29-12, 07:39 PM
Hmm, still lurking around in here I see, Larry. That's good to know. lol

Hadn't thought about the bulbs being the culprit. You may be onto something here. Not sure what brand I've previously put in those lights but I will definitely look at the better brands from now on.

Thanks Larry...Randy

Old 10-05-12, 06:04 AM
With MR16 bulbs you have to be aware of exsesive heat build-up. If your trims have a lens you should be using non-lensed bulbs. I had a recent customer that has the same problem with Juno cans. He had been buying his bulbs at Home Depot which were lensed, Thats all Home Depot sells. He also has lensed trims, the thermal is mounted to the outer housing of the fixture so it was not performing it's job the way it should. Your problem is more than likely heat related. As far as I can tell most stores sell lensed only bulbs.

Old 10-05-12, 12:02 PM
I think you may be on to something there, gobbertinker. I had always thought that the problem was heat, as the pins of the bulbs always show extreme heat symptoms, but I didn't know why.

What you just said makes a lot of sense and I am now going to check out all of my lights to see if they have this double lens scenario.

Thank you for your comment.

Old 10-05-12, 12:09 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Just following the thread and I haven't seen mentioned the possibility of switching to compatible LED lamps. Or maybe I missed it.

I agree with heat being the problem as I have worked with pin problems on high intensity lamps for years. If you could switch to a lower temperature lamp (LED) you would reduce energy costs and most likely eliminate the current problem.

Bud

Old 10-05-12, 12:19 PM
I did try a LED replacement a few years back but the light output was just not desirable. I have been slowly switching all of the lights in my home to LED, but until they can come up with a suitable replacement for the MR16 Halogen that is cost effective (I have several in my house) I will have to stay with what I have. I would be more than happy to try something if anyone knows of a product that will work.

Thanks...Randy