ceiling fan works light doesn't

Old 07-30-12, 07:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan works light doesn't

I don't know if this is coincident or not but last week we had a tornado rip thru our town and we lost our power. When I got home, I made sure that all lights/fans were off. The ceiling fan in the living room was on when the power went out and I turned it off so that when the power came back on there wouldn't be a surge. When the electricity finally came back on, the ceiling fan worked but my lights on the ceiling fan would not work. I took 2 of the 4 bulbs out and checked them in another lamp and they work. Can anyone explain what may have happened? I have a slider switch for the fan/light if that matters.

Old 07-30-12, 11:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Does the slider switch control both the fan and the light? If so, change the switch to a regular switch. If that doesn't work, remove the power to the fan at the breaker, drop the canopy of the fan and check the wiring from the ceiling box to the fan leads to make sure they are secure. Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-31-12, 04:25 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The wall switch is one unit but it has 2 separate sliders side by side. One controls the fan and the other is for the light. That is why I am confused as the fan works not the light.

Old 07-31-12, 05:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
OK, that's good. At least they are separate. However, I would venture to say it is possible one side of the switch (light side) got fried somehow during the storm. I still believe if you remove the slider switch and replace it with an over under switch wired the same for testing purposes, you may find it was the switch. Of course checking under the canopy for power at the light (blue) may help, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: