Can someone explain what IC (in recess light) means?

Old 08-05-12, 11:30 AM
S
SBI
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain what IC (in recess light) means?

OK, I know it means rated for Insulation Contact. The question is - does it mean that it's 'OK' if the insulation touches the housing, or does it mean I can actually "wrap" the housing with insulation as well?
I am insulating the first floor joists in the basement (finishing basement) and the main purpose of this insulation is sound barrier, I am not concerend with heat lose from the basement to the first floor above it.
I started insulating around and above the light housing (pretty much wrapping the housing with insulation) and then the thought that I was doing something wrong hit me.
Problem is, if I don't insulate the housing itself, I will lose the sound barrier.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-12, 12:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
"Insulation Contact" isn't difficult. You can pack insulation around the can without adverse problems. Not sure why you would want to "wrap" the can with insulation when normal insulation methods for the ceiling will be sufficient. Insulation above the can would be more sound beneficial than wrapping it. But you can wrap it if you feel it will help. How are you insulating the space? Batts, Roxul (my choice), blown in, loose fill? How will you treat the ceiling? Drop ceiling, sheetrock?

Old 08-05-12, 02:18 PM
S
SBI
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks chandler. I didn't "wrap" it per se, what I meant was that I tucked insulation all around it and above, creating a kind of wrapping of the housing making sure there is no air/space around it. That's why I asked if that's OK or if the meaning was more of "touching" the housing while leaving space for air/breath.
I am using fiberglass batts. We talked about the Roxul in another thread but I decided to stick with the fiberglass for cost and logistics purposes (I don't have a truck and the packs are huge, making it difficult to transfer on my own or even return leftovers).
Ceiling will be blueboard with plaster.

Thanks.