Attic fan help please.

Old 09-06-12, 09:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic fan help please.

Hello my house was built in 80s and my attic is not very big hence the fan installed there is(as I measured) 10 inches. Now 10 inch attic fans are impossible to find to replace the whole fan(I looked through the end of internet and beyond). So I was thinking of replacing the attic fan motor and I know Lowes and HD sells attic fan motors but what I dont know is Volts, Watts, RPM, size that will fit in my attic fan fixture etc. Do I just buy any motor and replace or something I need to make sure? Please help me. (is there any other information I can provide to help you help me?)

Also, before I replace the motor, is there something I can check? The fan is certainly not spinning, there is a box that connects to fan motor and that box is wired to electricity.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-12, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

there is a box that connects to fan motor and that box is wired to electricity
Yes. You can use a multimeter, preferably an analog one, to check for 120V hot-to-neutral and hot-to-ground in the box where the fan connects to power. Is the fan hardwired or cord-and-plug connected. Is there a thermostat in or next to the fan?

Is this a whole-house fan or an attic exhaust fan?

what I dont know is Volts, Watts, RPM, size that will fit in my attic fan fixture etc.
All fans that will work for you will be 120V. Read the nameplate on your existing fan and look for a match to that. If you've enjoyed the way it's been working, look for the same CFM.

If this is an attic exhaust fan, a better option is to replace its function with passive attic ventilation, rather than replacing the fan.

Old 09-06-12, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you checked the breakers? Turned off then on every single pole (120 volt) 15 amp and 20 amp breaker? Do you have a test light or multimeter (no, a non-contact tester won't work).

there is a box that connects to fan motor and that box is wired to electricity.
Can you open it and tell us the wiring inside?

Old 09-06-12, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ray2047 - Let me open up the box and get this info in morning. Its probably oven up there right now.

Nashkat1 - It is Attic exhaust fan. Just looked at passive ventilation but it seems it is better to do it when you replace roof.

I will get more info in morning.

Old 09-06-12, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Let me open up the box and get this info in morning. Its probably oven up there right now.
Originally Posted by ray2047
Have you checked the breakers? Turned off then on every single pole (120 volt) 15 amp and 20 amp breaker?
It is Attic exhaust fan. Just looked at passive ventilation but it seems it is better to do it when you replace roof.
Why? Why not do it now, and invest the time, energy and money you will spend replacing the attic exhaust fan toward the ventilation? Why put money into a fan that will have to be abandoned when the passive ventilation is installed?

Old 09-07-12, 06:01 AM
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
There is sometimes a service switch somewhere near the attic entrance so that power can be shut off from below.

Bud