Seperating wiring question

Old 09-08-12, 08:08 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seperating wiring question

I have to replace a fluorescent light fixture in my basement. Everything, housing, ballast , is going. I've done basic re-wiring before. Nothing more complicated than turning off the circuit breaker and reconnecting black to black/white to white.

It has a power feed going into it as well as the line for the microwave oven and also individual black/white wires that connect to a transformer for the doorbell.

When I pulled off the bottom plate of the light fixture, I see the following connections:

The Black wire from the power feed is tied to the black wire for the doorbell transformer and the black wire for the microwave.

The White wire from the power feed is tied to the white wire for the transformer doorbell and the white wire from the ballast.

The Black wire from the ballast is tied to the white wire from the microwave.

The ground wires are tied together and attached to a screw.

QUESTION: I want to put all the connections into a new junction box and just have a single line coming out to the new light (which may not even be a fluorescent). So with a power feed line, the microwave line, and the indiv black/white transformer wires going into the new junction box, do I just tie all the blacks together and all the whites together?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-12, 08:44 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The microwave should really probably be on its own circuit. If this is a combined hood and microwave it definitely should be on its own circuit. Yes, they have to be in a junction box. The transformer goes outside the junction box. Usually the transformers have a built-in threaded nipple. Yes, you tie all blacks together and all whites together. Same for the grounds

Old 09-08-12, 10:33 AM
C
thanks.

The lights are in the basement . It's unfinished so the only time we're down there is to file some papers in the filing cabinent or do the wash. So the lights aren't on that much and nothing else is on that circuit with them other than the microwave.

Old 09-08-12, 11:51 AM
Sounds okay then. Is the washer on a separate circuit. Is the dryer gas?

Old 09-09-12, 04:06 PM
C
no gas lines in street - oil heat. What implications would a gas dryer have?

Yes the washer is on its own circuit.

Old 09-09-12, 04:54 PM
What implications would a gas dryer have
Since the washer is not on the same circuit as the microwave then the dryer isn't relevant. But if you had a gas dryer it would usually be on the same circuit as the washer and that combined with a microwave and lights would be a heavily loaded circuit but since the washer is on its own circuit and the dryer is electric it is not an issue.