how to install regular light fixture and dimmer switch

Old 09-11-12, 12:26 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to install regular light fixture and dimmer switch

how to install regular light fixture and dimmer switch after removing a ceiling fan and previous dimmer switch. Dimmer switch has 2 reds a black and a green wire. Light has a black, white and bare copper wire.
Ceiling has black,red,white and bare copper wire and wall switch box has 2 black, a red and two bare copper wires, 2 white wires how do I make this work, when power is on only one black wire in the switch box seems to be hot, none of the ceiling wires seem to be hot. when I removed the old ceiling fan i thought power was off but it was not and It sparked and tripped the breaker. I dont know if this has any effect on things not working or not. attached are pictures please help.Name:  wiringswitch2.jpg
Views: 19381
Size:  27.9 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-12, 01:21 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Cap off the red both at the ceiling and the switch box. If you don't have the instructions for the dimmer try capping one red wire and connect the remaining red and black to the two blacks in the switch box. At the ceiling black to black, white to white.

At both boxes all grounds wire nutted to a pigtail and pigtail to box.

Old 09-11-12, 01:47 AM
M
clear on all except the ground wire do i just hook up the green wires to the ground wires????

Old 09-11-12, 02:33 AM
Green wires are ground wires as are the bare wires. Connect all of the ground wires to a pigtail (6 inch length of bare or green wire same gauge as the other wires) and connect the pigtail to the metal box. There are green ground screws in each box for that.

Old 09-11-12, 05:44 AM
M
so nothing is done with the white wires at the switch box they just remain capped together as they are?

Old 09-11-12, 07:29 AM
M
Thank you this help 100% and it worked fine thank you!!!!Name:  ceilinglight3.jpg
Views: 5531
Size:  16.7 KBName:  newswitch1.jpg
Views: 5182
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 09-11-12, 10:21 AM
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.

so nothing is done with the white wires at the switch box they just remain capped together as they are?
That is correct. Power comes in at the switch. It is the 2-conductor cable. The whites are the neutral. You are simply hooking neutral to neutral. The white of the 3-conductor cable carries the neutral on up to the light.