Outside lights + Tripping when it rains

Old 09-13-12, 04:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside lights + Tripping when it rains

I recently installed outside lights on my garden perimeter walls

This consists of 10 X 6 glass panel lantern-like fixtures

Everytime it rains the lights blow and the circuit in the switchboard trips

I can see that water is somehow getting into this lighting housings, specifically in the the bulb screw in socket thus the combination of the electricty at the socket point combined with the water will cause the shorting

I am not sure how to seal the house though to prevent this. The glass panes are not very water tight, they are simply help in place by metal clasps and if hard rain comes at an angle the water gets inside. The housing even has a hole at bottom to let the water drain but this doesnt let out the water to sits in the bulb socket

What can I do or use to seal these light housings to stop the water getting inside?

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-12, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
Can you post a pic so we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with?

Old 09-13-12, 05:43 AM
M
Hello

Below is a picture of what my lights look like. Mine sit directly down a flat surface though as opposed to on the side of a wall like these but otherwise are identical

There are 2 screws ( 1 visible in pictur) to remove the lid to change the globe. These screws are on the outside and if water does make it through them does not go inside the light casing itself

The top of the light casing also screws off but as far as I can see this is well sealed an no rain gets in here

I have tested spraying a hose pipe on the light casing and water does indeed get in although I am still not 100% sure from where

Name:  598346_111001141513_IL1241U-1.jpg
Views: 12995
Size:  21.7 KB

Old 09-13-12, 10:41 PM
M
I am contemplating using clear silicon to around the borders of each glass panel, as well as on the top piece which can screw off as well as the join between the lid and the rest of the housing

Old 09-13-12, 11:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is it on a GFCI breaker or other GFCI (RCCB/RCD)? If so are you sure it isn't water getting under the mounting and in to the circuit box. Silicon would be good around that also but be sure to leave a weep hole at the bottom un-caulked.

Old 09-14-12, 01:40 AM
M
The housings have existing holes at the bottom to allow water etc to drain so I will not close

It is likely that water could be getting underneath the housing as the lights are not very firmly fixed on the wall mainly due to the wall consistency being week and the screws and plugs pulling out. However underneath the housing is hollow and the wires are quite high up in this so I doubt the water could be making contact, also doesnt explain why the bulb sockets inside the housing are wet ( it cant be sucking up water from the outside?)

Old 09-14-12, 03:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The generic picture is good, but an actual photo of your installation will tell us much more. Also, fill in your profile, please. We don't know where you are located, and from what I have read, I detect you may not be from the US, which throws us into another realm of "guessing" at what your solution could be.

Old 09-14-12, 03:38 AM
M
I live in South Africa

This should not affect possible solutions offered except obviously for where to obtain products but I am confident similar solutions/products exist in SA such as silicone

I will get an acutual picture of my wall this afternoon

Thanks