Dimmer switch to regular switch wiring questions.

Old 09-20-12, 01:51 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dimmer switch to regular switch wiring questions.

I have a dining room dimmer switch that I want to convert to a regular switch. I took off the dimmer switch and inside the box there is the following:

1) Two (2) black wires that were connected together and then tied with a wire from the dimmer switch with a plastic wire connector. Three (3) wires total connected.

2) Two (2) white wires that are capped off with a wire connector and not connected to anything.

3) One (1) black wire with a dab of white paint on it connected to the other dimmer switch wire with a wire connector.

4) Two (2) ground wires connected to screws in the back of the outlet box.

My question is how to I connect these wires to a standard wall switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-12, 01:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums

So the switch itself just has two black wires attached to it?

Old 09-20-12, 02:02 PM
B
The switch has 3 black wires attached to it. Two are wrapped together with a wire from the dimmer and another black wire with white paint on it is attached to the other side of the dimmer. Therefore there is actually 3 black wires attached to the dimmer. This is why I am confused.

Old 09-20-12, 02:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The same way as the old switch. The two black wires on the dimmer are equivelent to the two brass screws on the switch. For reasons of reliability use the screws not back stabs (if present). The group of whites are connected to something, each other. They are the neutrals that pass through the box.

1) Two (2) black wires that were connected together and then tied with a wire from the dimmer switch with a plastic wire connector. Three (3) wires total connected.
Add a black pigtail of the same gauge as the house wiring to the two black house wires and connect to one of the switch screw.
3) One (1) black wire with a dab of white paint on it connected to the other dimmer switch wire with a wire connector.
Connect the black house wire to the other switch screw.
4) Two (2) ground wires connected to screws in the back of the outlet box.
If the box is metal you do not need to connect a ground to the switch but many would connect all the grounds together with two pigtails (bare or green) and connect one pigtail to the box and one to the switch.

Old 09-20-12, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
The 2 black together with the short pigtail are power in and power out to another part of the circuit. The single black is the switched hot. Make the new connections the same way. You will just need to add a short length of black to the two to connect to the switch screw.

Old 09-20-12, 02:21 PM
B
Thank you. I should have been able to figure out the pigtail part! Doh! I had 3 black wires and didn't know what to do. I just hooked it up and it works great! Thanks for your help.

Old 09-20-12, 03:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks for letting us know how your project turned out.