will beams block much light from new fixture

Old 09-24-12, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
will beams block much light from new fixture

Shop Good Earth Lighting Dark Bronze Flush Mount at Lowes.com

i know there's no magic wand to say for sure but i have beams in my kitchen and i'm worried if i buy the light that the 'in between' the beams will be super bright but not beyond and it will be a waste of my money to direct light to the sides like that

the beams are about 5 inches deep so they would indeed 'block' some of the horizontal light

i have a 17x17 kitchen and the table has its own pendant light hanging down and the replacement light will be on the other side of the kitchn..basically at the 1/3 room width point.

i cant use the pendant version of this light because it's 3 ft long and id bump my head.

the light in there now is somethign like this

Shop Portfolio 25-5/16" Fluorescent Flush Mount at Lowes.com

and so it does 'reach' below the beams..if that even matters. there are 6 20 watt flourescents in there so i'm used to that level of brightness and the top light says output of 120 but the LED feature is attractive to me

or any other suggestions rather than just a standard flourescent? may as well just try to fix the current one if i do that

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-12, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When I followed your link, I found this pendant version of the highlighted fixture. Is this what you had in mind? This one hangs down 17", or 6'7" AFF if the ceiling is 8'.

Good Earth Lighting 17" Dark Bronze Pendant Light with White Shade

Old 09-24-12, 06:31 PM
isnt width 17 and length 42? or am i reading it wrong

Old 09-24-12, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I do not think the 5" beams will block any more light then the existing fixture is. I would be more concerned with the light color rendering (Kelvin) and the lumen output.

Old 09-24-12, 07:14 PM
i have no idea how to compare to my 120 watts now

it says LED light output equivalent to three 40-watt incandescent bulb so i just assumed would be as bright as my current bulbs?

also confused because it says 24 lites max watt 1 watt...the light output 42 watts
if it's in stock i guess could bring it home and just rig it temporarily to see how it shines

Old 09-24-12, 07:17 PM
isnt width 17 and length 42? or am i reading it wrong
You may be right. I can't seen to find that detail. Do you have a link?

That said, how high is your ceiling?

Old 09-24-12, 07:35 PM
it's on the spec part of that page

8 ft celiing

Old 09-25-12, 07:47 AM
it's on the spec part of that page
OK, I see it now. Sorry 'bout that.

If you're trying to light up the ceiling beyond the beams, then only a pendant fixture or additional fixtures added there will do that. If you're just trying to provide good walking and working light in that part of the kitchen, then the flush fixture should be fine. If your existing fixture has solid, light-blocking sides like the example you linked to, you should get a better light spread out of the new fixture with the translucent sides, regardless of the ceiling beams.

Old 09-25-12, 09:15 AM
good point about the sides on the new light..zero is coming out the sides now.

the LED and 75% off are what is attracting me to this particular light.

but i still dont understand what the specs are regarding the light.it says there are 24 1 watt bulbs...then says light output is 42 watts..does that mean the equivalent of a 42 watt traditional bulb? if so then thats a bummer because i really doubt i would be able to use it..

but in the description it does say "LED light output equivalent to three 40-watt incandescent bulb " which is great..i have 120 in flourescent which is probably about the same?

Old 09-25-12, 10:00 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to try to find a spec somewhere that gives the actual lumen out put. Because of color temp this may not seem to give you the same amount of light but it would be close.
100 W tungsten incandescent = 1750 lumens (17.5 lm x 100 w)

Old 10-22-12, 07:19 AM
i forgot i had this thread too in addition to the bad ground one..got this lite:

Shop allen + roth White Acrylic Ceiling Fluorescent Light at Lowes.com

lowes had 3500 and 4100 bulbs...strangely enough the 3500s were rated about 900, 1225 and 1300 lumens..how can the same watt bulb same temperature have so many different lumens...i choose the 1300 assuming it is brighter.

i choose 4100K and it's more a blue light..you can see under my cabinet i have more of a beige light but i didnt like that from the start anyway. i'm sure ill get used to the blue tint..just having a working light again is great

also the light out the sides is definitely helping things