Ceiling light chain stuck

Old 09-26-12, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling light chain stuck

I have a ceiling/light in my kitchen that uses a pull chain to turn on/off. It's been getting stuck lately so I sprayed some wd40 into the hole where the chain comes out of. I tested a couple times and the chain doesn't get stuck anymore, but i'm wondering if it is okay to spray wd40 in there since it's connected to an electric part. Should I be concerned?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-12, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have a ceiling/light in my kitchen that uses a pull chain to turn on/off. It's been getting stuck lately so I sprayed some wd40 into the hole where the chain comes out of. I tested a couple times and the chain doesn't get stuck anymore, but i'm wondering if it is okay to spray wd40 in there since it's connected to an electric part. Should I be concerned?
IDK. I would be. WD40 is a very effective conductor. In fact, the only uses I've ever found for the stuff is freeing up a hand tool that has been sitting around for awhile, and restoring/improving connectivity in the wiring harness connections on old cars and trucks.

In addition, the hole you sprayed it into leads into the control housing on a ceiling fan. IOW, this isn't just a ceiling light with a pull chain, it's the light kit attached to a fan.

The good news may be that that hole leads directly into chain/switching part of the switch for the light. With luck, and if you only sprayed a tiny amount, it may not penetrate far enough to create paths for arcing inside the light or fan control wiring, but it could.

I would replace the switch, asap, and use paper towels to remove every trace of the WD40 I found inside that housing. Plus, that will help keep it from dripping onto the floor, or someone's head.

But that's just me.