zidog: Light Has Multiple Wires

Old 09-30-12, 10:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
zidog: Light Has Multiple Wires

Hi. I am having the same issue replacing a 2 bulb ceiling fixture. The junction box has 2 black, 2 white, and 2 ground wires. The wall switch controls this and 1 other ceiling light. I connected blacks to blacks and whites to whites and only one bulb works. So what I'm reading here is that I should connect all 4 blacks together with one wire nut, and all four whites together with one wire nut? Or do I need to figure out which set is the power feed and which is the switch feed, and then connect those to the fixture? and if so, how do I do that correctly? Thanks! Sorry, I failed to look at how the old fixture was connected when I took it down. Oopsy. I'm just a girl after all.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-12, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm just a girl after al
But no excuse boys make mistakes to.Welcome to the forums.

The wall switch controls this and 1 other ceiling light. I connected blacks to blacks and whites to whites and only one bulb works
Do you mean one light fixture or one bulb of a single fixture with multiple lights? If it is the first try:
... that I should connect all 4 blacks together with one wire nut, and all four whites together with one wire nut?
If the second check your connections again.Be sure you are using wire nuts with springs inside not the cheap plastic caps included with some lights. If no luck post back with a description of all the wires at the switch (except grounds).

Old 09-30-12, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I'm just a girl after all
So's my grand daughter, but she has a cell phone with a camera . Just kidding!!

You mention all 4 blacks. It appears you have one bulb in one fixture not working, is that correct? If so, yes each bulb will have a black and white wire, so you will need to connect the two blacks in the ceiling box and the two bulb blacks together. Do this with the whites as well. when you turn on the switch, does the other fixture light up? Have you pulled out the switch, yet. Would be interesting to see how it is wired as well before you go power up.

Old 10-05-12, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like to me that you have a two bulb fixture that has leads for each bulb socket (2 blacks & 2 whites). Connect the two blacks from the fixture to both blacks in the ceiling box, connect the two whites from the fixture to the two whites in the ceiling box. Don't forget to connect the ground wires also.