Which one goes where

Old 09-30-12, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which one goes where

I have three lights on a circuit. Two boxes have two cables, the third has one cable. I understand that the box with two cables that it has to power the light and also continue on to power the next light. My question is how are the blacks and whites hooked up. If you can explain in as simple terms as possible and a pic. (diagram ) would also be very helpful. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-12, 03:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there a switch on the circuit? Does power come in at the switch or one of the lights?

Old 09-30-12, 03:39 PM
There's a wall switch that will turn the lights on or off.

Old 09-30-12, 05:16 PM
And where does the power come in? Tell us all the wires (except ground) at the switch and how they are connected.

Old 09-30-12, 08:22 PM
It's night time now, I'll have to go to the attic in the day. The circuit box is just to the left of the light switch on the wall, from the switch it goes up in the attic of the garage into electric boxes where it branches off to each of where the lights will be going.

Old 09-30-12, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No need to look in the attic yet. Ray asked you to pull the switch out of its box and tell us about the wires in that box.

Old 10-01-12, 06:32 PM
Got home late from work, will try tomorrow with pics.

Old 10-02-12, 01:27 PM
The switch on the right is for an indoor ceiling light. The switch on the left is for the three outdoor lights. There are two or three ground wires in the back twisted together with a nut, one ground is attached to the switch. All of the white wires are nutted together. I played with the cable and it's pliable with no sign of cracking.

Attached Images     
Old 10-02-12, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thank you for the pictures, and for explaining that the neutrals are spliced together behind the switch.

I understand that the box with two cables that it has to power the light and also continue on to power the next light. My question is how are the blacks and whites hooked up.
Inside the fixture boxes, splice the wires color-to-color, including the wires on the fixture, regardless of the number of cables. Also bond the ground wire to the box, if it's a metal box.

Before starting, you might want to pick up a copy of Wiring Simplified, possibly the least expensive and most valuable resource on this subject available.

Old 10-02-12, 06:53 PM
Thank you so much for the advise. You have been really helpful!

Old 10-02-12, 07:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
You will need a box behind the fixtures. I like the Arlington mounting blocks with the built-in box. They can be retrofitted for your application.

Old 10-04-12, 04:55 AM
Like you advised I will Connect a ground wire to the metal box, but which one , the one from the fixture or one from one of the cables ?

Old 10-04-12, 05:14 AM
but which one [ground] , the one from the fixture or one from one of the cables ?
All grounds are connected to a pigtail* and pigtail to the metal box using a green 10-32 machine screw in a tapped hole. There should be a tapped hole in the bottom of the box.

*A pigtail is a 6"-8" length of wire the same size as the largest wire and color of the wires it is attached to. In this case it can be bare or green insulated.