Ceiling Fan needs to have a wall swich and a remote!

Old 10-03-12, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan needs to have a wall swich and a remote!

I have a remote controlled ceiling fan direct wired with no wall switch.

I would like a wall switch and a remote. I bought a Harbor Breeze wall switch and remote combo pack. The wall switch has the dip switches that make me think it is a remote too. But, that wall switch also has two black wires and a green wire coming out the back.

I currently have a wall switch that operates an outlet in the room. I want to make that outlet always on and use that gang box to put this fan wall switch into.

The ceiling fan wiring is NOT in that gang box.

Can I wire the AC into the fan/remote wall switch even though it is not the AC wires to the fan itself? It seems to me that the wall switch needs AC for two reasons:
1. The wall remote has no other power source
AND
2. The wall remote has a on/off shut off for the fan

SO- if I hook up to this AC that is not hooked up to the fan, I will not have the ability at the wall to cut AC power to the fan. I am ok with that.

What worries me is-
1. There is no neutral wire on this wall remote switch. AC in, AC to fan and ground. Is it ok to hook up this remote switch with no neutral?
I have a neutral hooked up to the fan and the gang box neutral will be hooked to the dedicated outlet.
2. I am a bit worried, because the instructions stink that this wall switch is not a remote control. The only indication that it is a remote control are the dip switches on the side of it.

Please help!!! Thanks for following along with me!!!
Elaine

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-12, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi Elaine, and welcome to the forums! OK, you will need to run a switch loop from your fan down the wall to the gang box. In order to make the receptacle hot all the time, you will need a new receptacle, since the one you have possibly has the mid tab broken on it. Is it hot on both top and bottom or on just the top or the bottom? Can you remove the power to this receptacle, pull it from the wall and describe the wiring to it? In all probability you will be abandoning the wiring in the existing switch box anyway, as the cable from the fan will control the switch. You will run a 14-3 cable from the fan to the switch box. You won't use the white wire. Neutrals are not figured in switching. You only switch the hot wires. With the new codes, however, you will be bringing a neutral to the switch location, but it will be capped off, just in case you ever want to put in something like an automatic timer switch, etc.
Now that I have totally confused you, do you feel up to it? We have a staff of professionals on the forum that can walk you through this step by step, and they don't get frustrated. So heel in and let us know if you feel up to it.

Old 10-03-12, 11:42 PM
Hi Chandler!

I was hoping to avoid running cable from the fan to the wall gang box.

Are you crushing my hopes?

Elaine

Old 10-04-12, 03:17 AM
How would you propose controlling the ceiling fan without a connection between the two? Not crushing your hopes, just letting you know this is a reality show We'll walk you through it, you gotta do the work. Let us know if we can help.

Old 10-04-12, 07:08 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I bought a Harbor Breeze wall switch and remote combo pack. The wall switch has the dip switches that make me think it is a remote too. But, that wall switch also has two black wires and a green wire coming out the back.
Which wall switch and remote combo pack did you buy? Can you provide a link to it? Most importantly, how many parts came with it? Did you get a hand-held remote, a wall unit and a receiver for the ceiling?

There are units that do not require a direct connection between the wall and the ceiling. Hunter makes at least one, and your Harbor Breeze may also be one.

Two more questions. You say
I have a remote controlled ceiling fan direct wired with no wall switch.
Is the fan a Harbor Breeze and is your new switch a match for that fan? It sounds like you want a wall switch that will kill the power to the remote controls in your fan. That definitely requires a hard-wire solution, and I'm wondering why that is important to you (and if I heard you correctly).

Old 10-04-12, 05:05 PM
I have an eight year old Hunter brand fan that came with a remote. If I remember correctly- there are only a black, white and ground wire to the fan. That is partly why I am avoiding runing the 14/3 wire from the fan to the wall box. I think I would have to buy a new fan.

The Harbor Breeze is a Universal Ceiling Fan and Light Remote with Wall Control.
Here is a link to the Lowes website. Part number RDI-103L

Shop Harbor Breeze 40' Range Handheld Ceiling Fan Remote at Lowes.com

The new remote, wall switch combo has a receiver too.
The gang box is live/hot, but it is controlling an outlet- not the ceiling fan.

My hope is to have my current ceiling fan operate via a remote on my bedside and a remote at the wall in a gang box.

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 10-04-12, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have an eight year old Hunter brand fan that came with a remote.
I would exchange the Harbor Breeze product for a Hunter product such as the Hunter 40' Handheld Ceiling Fan Remote, which
Includes a special remote holder that easily mounts over the existing wall switch [from the site]
(or anywhere on the wall, I'll bet). Harbor Breeze is the Lowe's house brand, made for them by the lowest bidder they found in the last RFP.

That said, why is it you want to change out the controls? What is it you don't like about the existing setup, and what are you trying to wind up with?

Old 10-05-12, 05:43 PM
Nashkat!

Thanks for continuing to help!

I am trying to have two fan controllers. One permanently on the wall and another remote.

I want to be able to turn on the light when I walk in the bedroom, yet continue to control the fan while in bed!

That was my intent and that is why I am trying to get dual controls.

Thanks again!

Elaine

Old 10-05-12, 05:58 PM
Elaine: Most fans with remotes give you a wall hanging bracket. Many of my clients place it on the wall near where they enter the room, click it on when they enter, and pop it out if they want to retire for the evening and maintain control over the fan/light. It would be much easier to adapt to that type of atmosphere than to run all the wiring you are proposing. HOWEVER, it can be done and if you want it, then we will help with it.