Daisy chain lights all died

Old 10-10-12, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Daisy chain lights all died

Hello,

I have 4 recessed lighting fixtures using 4pin CFL bulbs that are daisy chained to 1 switch.

A couple days ago, they won't turn on any more and I tested the switch and it was good. What would be the best way to test which fixture is causing problem? Is it possible to test the fixture without removing the recessed housing?

Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-12, 11:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Talking

Welcome to the forum.

On your switch are two (usually black) wires. Checking from the white in the box to the switch...... one wire should be live all the time and the other will become live when switch is turned on. It's strictly a guess which light is the first one in the string but usually it's the closest one to the switch. They are designed to be removed from the ceiling for servicing. Some use clips that need to be un-locked and some use three 1/4" hex head screws that can be removed with a stubby tool. Remove bulb, remove trim, remove can and either the j-box will come out with can or you look in thru hole to see it.

Old 10-11-12, 10:39 AM
Thank you PJmax.

I was hoping not to remove the housing as I've already replaced one in another room. These Progress Lighting 4 pin CFL fixtures are so problematic. We have 8 sets and 5 went out in 4 years.

I was hoping for an easier way, maybe by using a volt meter and test the 4 pin connector. Is that doable?

Thanks!

Old 10-11-12, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
You could use a voltmeter on a high ac scale. Electronic ballasts without the tubes in could be around 400 volts. If all four went out at the time I'd doubt all went bad at one time. Sounds more like a wiring issue between switch and first light.

Old 10-11-12, 11:09 AM
I see. So i must test on the ballast and not the lamp holder that means i have to remove the housing until i find the first one on the wire.

Another stupid question since I have knowledge on EE. You said that it's more likely to be the wiring issue between switch and the first light. Since they are daisy chained, let say, is it possible the first light will still turn on if the wiring between the switch and first light is good but the wiring is bad between 1st and 2nd? Like follows:

---switch-----[1: on]-----[2: off]-----[3: off]----[4: off]---

I'm guessing the ballast is bad caz I just replaced one in the other room which is the same fixture and had a bad ballast

Old 10-11-12, 11:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
In your diagram above the problem could be in fixture 1 or 2, but fixture 1 could work.

Old 10-11-12, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm guessing the ballast is bad caz I just replaced one in the other room which is the same fixture and had a bad ballast
You either have four bad ballasts, an open connection, or a circuit breaker that's tripped. A bad ballast only affects the fixture it is part of.

If you've already turned the breaker for this circuit all the way off and then back on, I would turn it back off and check the neutral splice behind the switch first. If that isn't the problem, then check the splices at the first fixture.