Installing an outlet in a vanity drawer

Old 10-12-12, 04:28 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Installing an outlet in a vanity drawer

I'm having this done and I'm curious if anyone else had this done. A new hole has been cut and wiring has been installed on the wall the backs up to the bottom vanity drawer. The idea is to tuck our blow dryer away in this drawer and keep it plugged into an outlet box that mounts onto the back of the drawer. When the drawer extends I guess the electrical wiring is long enough to reach the full extension of the drawer. I'm worried that as we try to close the drawer that the same wiring going into the outlet box on the back of the drawer will actually impede the full closing of the drawer (either right off the bat or over time). I've seen episodes of BathCrashers where they install outlets in vanity drawers but usually you don't see the behind the cabinet workings of this. We haven't started yet, but this may happen later today so I am curious if anyone has any feedback/suggestions. Thanks so much.

Lauren

Old 10-12-12, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I don't know of any code compliant manner to do what you propose. I have heard some try to use a curly extension cord to bridge between the wall and the drawer, but flex cord is limited to temporary usage, not a daily basis like the drawer.

I also don't like that someone could leave a curling iron on and in a closed drawer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: