anyone out there use a whole house fan?

Old 10-12-12, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
anyone out there use a whole house fan?

Hi everyone, new here and thank you for having me. I am a novice do-it-your selfer here to learn. I am most interested in sustainable home type stuff, and green energy/green building...

After this last summer in the southern CA dessert, I am determined to find a way to keep our house comfortable that doesn't involve running the central a/c ALL THE TIME!

Looked into doing my own Led retro, and maybe replacing older appliances. I've been flirting with the whole house fan idea the last week or so. Any advice would be much appreciated....

Anyone out there use them? Like them? See the energy savings? For someone who has never installed one is it something I should take on?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-12, 12:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I have used and worked on a number of whole house fans. I love them, but I'm not sure how effective they'd be in a hot desert climate. They are not difficult to install, IMO.

What type of HVAC system do you have, and how are you controlling it? I'm imagining there might be a lot better return on investment in working with that than in a fan, in your location.

Old 10-12-12, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A whole house fan will help you if you live in an area where the outside temp drops rapidly after sundown and the humidity isn't too high. I know it sure doesn't apply to me in mid summer when my A/C gets the most use.

If it's a 100 degree day and by 7 pm the temp has dropped to maybe 75...then you would be able to run it for a few hours before bed to help cool things off. You will have to go through and open windows to get airflow through all the rooms. If you have a fireplace...make sure the damper is closed and seals well. You also have to be careful about gas appliances and their venting....back drafting will make any venting or exhaust fans much less effective.

If you decide on one....get something with multiple speeds. That way you could leave it on low during the night if you felt like it.