Will Home Depot replace a light bulb that only lasted a few days?

Old 10-16-12, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2 pack of Philips BR40 65W indoor flood light bulbs. The box says, Lasts 2.3 years. BS! The first one quits after a few weeks. The next one after a day. Is there any guarranty? How can I prove it went bad after just one day?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-12, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Got a receipt and the package? Thats all you need. Well...according to the warranty on the packages some say you need to mail the UPC and receipt to the manufacturer.

Old 10-16-12, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
H D is pretty good like that.....statisfaction guarenteed.

Old 10-16-12, 07:35 PM
How many Home Depot workers does it take to replace a light bulb?

Old 10-16-12, 07:59 PM
Answer -

None! - They just give you a credit if you charged it and YOU find a replacement and can change the brand or size.

It is simple with a receipt, but if you charged it, have the credit card number, they can look it up. Otherwise, you get a plastic "gift" card to use anytime.

Dick

Old 10-16-12, 09:05 PM
Yes I have a reciept. They take back light bulbs? How can I prove I'm not bringing back one that is 3 years old?

Old 10-16-12, 11:12 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Quite honestly, it isn't worth the bad customer feeling to deny a credit for something as inexpensive as a light bulb. Heck, if they will take back a lawnmower after it had been used to cut the south forty they will definitely take back a light bulb.

Old 10-16-12, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The odds of their doing that are somewhere between slim and none.

I bought a 2 pack of Philips BR40 65W indoor flood light bulbs. The box says, Lasts 2.3 years. BS! The first one quits after a few weeks. The next one after a day. Is there any guarranty?
Were the bulbs guaranteed to last 2 to 3 years? Read the box carefully. I bet it says something like "Average Life 2-3 years. "

How can I prove it went bad after just one day?
You can't, but they'll likely take your word for that. Especially with two bulbs that match the packaging and a receipt in hand.

That said, I've successfully returned dozens of items to HD over the years, because I didn't need them, or they didn't do what the associate and I thought they would, or they failed - they broke. I've received new items, cash, credit on my charge card, and store credit - doesn't matter, they all spend.

In every case where I returned something because it broke, HD was honoring a manufacturer's warranty. Costs them only the time to process it, and builds goodwill. Philips doesn't warrant the life of its light bulbs. Neither does GE nor Sylvania nor any other manufacturer. Light bulbs are fragile.

There was an interesting discussion on this topic here not long ago. If you're interested, you can see it at Tool Returns.

They take back light bulbs?
Very doubtful.