Problem with newly installed ceiling fan

Old 10-16-12, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with newly installed ceiling fan

Before I continue, this is my first and only experience with anything electrical. That said, if I've done something wrong, it's no wonder.

My bedroom ceiling fan needed replaced because it was making odd noises, not to mention that it was well over a decade old. I picked up a Mainstays brand fan at Walmart, removed the existing fan, and followed the new fan's installation instructions to the letter.

* Black and blue fan wires to black wire from outlet box with wire connector.
* White fan wire to white wire from outlet box with wire connector.
* Green ground wires from fan and hanging bracket to bare wire from outlet box with wire connector.

The wires were labeled: white = neutral; green = ground; blue = light; black = motor.

Right now, the fan itself works. It's running and seems fine. I'm terribly paranoid that it won't stay that way, but that's my problem. The light, however, is not functioning properly. It blew out two brand new 60 watt GE candelabra base bulbs the moment I turned them on.

My questions are as follows:

1. Since it keeps blowing bulbs, does that indicate a problem with the light itself?
2. If I were to leave it as-is and simply disregard the light, would it be safe?
3. With the black and blue fan wires being connected to the black wire from the outlet box with the same wire connector, wouldn't both malfunction if there was a connection problem?
4. Assume that there is a problem with the installation - wouldn't the breaker kick off if there was something terribly wrong?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-12, 07:54 PM
Possibly bad bulbs? Could be a faulty pull chain switch in the fan throwing a spark too. If the fan is controlled by a wall switch, put in another good bulb and have the pull chain for the light in the on position then turn on the wall switch and see if the bulb blows. If not, leave the wall switch on and pull the light chain off and on again and see what happens.

Old 10-16-12, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My vote would be bad bulbs but all connections both at the switch and ceiling need to be checked. Wire nuts remove d and checked for a spring inside and no corrosion and then replaced. At the switch any back stabbed wires need to be moved to the screws. If a combination of back stab and screw was used as a splice it needs to be changed to a pigtail to the screw.

Old 10-16-12, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

My bedroom ceiling fan needed replaced because it was making odd noises, not to mention that it was well over a decade old.
An interesting judgement. I know of fans that I installed in the 1970s and 1980s that are still performing like new. But it's done.

I picked up a Mainstays brand fan at Walmart, removed the existing fan, and followed the new fan's installation instructions to the letter.
OK.

The light... is not functioning properly. It blew out two brand new 60 watt GE candelabra base bulbs the moment I turned them on.

1. Since it keeps blowing bulbs, does that indicate a problem with the light itself?
Probably not. Does the light kit on this fan take only one light bulb? Did you have one burn out, and replace it, and then have a second one burn out? Assuming you installed these light bulbs after you installed the fan, did the light bulbs come in the box with the fan? How did you handle them when you installed them (did you wash your hands first; did you wear a glove or use a paper towel to pick up the bulbs)?

2. If I were to leave it as-is and simply disregard the light, would it be safe?
If you installed it correctly, and if the fan itself is not defective, then yes.

3. With the black and blue fan wires being connected to the black wire from the outlet box with the same wire connector, wouldn't both malfunction if there was a connection problem?
Only if there was a bad connection to both loads. That said, light bulbs don't burn out when the circuit opens - when a connection fails or a switch is turned "off." Only power can burn out a light bulb. Clearly, you have power.

4. Assume that there is a problem with the installation - wouldn't the breaker kick off if there was something terribly wrong?
The circuit breaker should trip, and open the circuit, when there is a sustained demand for more power than it is designed to supply. That protects the wiring from overheating. The most common cause of a demand for an excessive amount of power is a short circuit - when the ungrounded power makes contact with either a grounded conductor or an equipment grounding conductor. The fan is continuing to work, but you've lost a couole of light bulbs. Clearly, you still have power and don't have a short circuit.

Why do you ask?

Old 10-17-12, 12:51 AM
I agree I think you have bad bulbs too. Did you buy bulbs made for ceiling fans? There is a big difference in how a ceiling fan bulb is made versus a regular incandescent bulb. The main thing being in how the filament is made as the fan bulbs have stronger filaments and can stand long periods of vibration whereas a regular bulb can't. Too much vibration though and any bulb will blow out even the fan bulbs. GE is what I buy all of the time and they usually last me a long time unless I run my ceiling fan for a long time and then usually one burns out after a few days.

Old 10-17-12, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
An excellent point .