Wire for Photocell

Old 10-20-12, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wire for Photocell

I want to put a photocell in a brass wall light attached to my shop. To do this I need to extend the wires of the photocell by about 12" or so. My plan is the solder the wires, put heat shrink on the splice and then rout the wiring in split loom tubing. I found these markings on one of the wires on the photocell: CABLEPLUS AWG 105C VW-1 AWM 18 AWG FT1 F. My question is what type of multi-strand wire should I use for this application? The light has 2 15w candle type bulbs in it. Thanks.

Big mac

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-12, 12:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If I understood you correctly what you want to do is not code compliant. Individual wire can not be run outside of a raceway. Wire loom is not an approved raceway. You need to use conduit or protected cable.

Old 10-20-12, 03:29 PM
ray2047 - I should have explained how I want to wire the fixture. It is a custom made brass light fixture my cousin made after I built my shop and is mounted on an outside brick wall. There is no external wiring. All wires will be inside the fixture. The photocell will be mounted on the slanted "roof" of the light fixture. It's under a 3' overhang so it will never see any rain. The wires will run from the photocell to the top of the roof and then out the back surface of the light into a box that the light is attached to. I just wanted to dress up and hide the wires in split loom inside the light in case anyone would look in at it. I hope this makes sense. Would this be in violation of any codes? If it would be OK to do this what wire type should I use? Thanks for the reply.

Big mac

Old 10-20-12, 03:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
That should probably be okay. Use THWN/THHN wire sized to your breaker.

Old 10-20-12, 04:21 PM
OK. Thanks ray2047. I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow and pick up some wire if they have that type. I think I've gotten some THHN there before.