Automating power on/off

Old 10-20-12, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Automating power on/off

Hi ,

I am new to this forums , so HI to all . I am a software developer and just started my journey in electronics side . I had this particular idea which I want to do for my project .

IDEA : Problem statement : In my college every room has fans and light which is powered with normal switches. People when leaving the class don't switch off the fans and lights when leaving the classroom

Solution : I wanted to develop a software which will recognize when the classroom is empty and will switch off the lights as soon as no one is there .

It will have three components :

1. Sensor : This will detect that there are no people in the room and send a signal to the system

2. Software system : Which is responsible for taking in INPUT from the sensor do the processing and send either signal ON/OFF command in some form to the electrical main

3. Main Circuit : This circuit should understand the software command and convert it to signal of some form which makes circuit switch off and switch on

MY PROBLEM :

I am not able to figure out two things .

1. What circuit should I use which can understand a software command and convert to signal ?

2. How can this circuit switch off the power?

I will be greatfull , If somebody can guide if not give proper solution

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-12, 11:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
I'm not really sure of the proper solution for you but they make room occupancy sensors now. They can be self contained 110V type like you would put in a standard switch box or the type I use to do what you are trying to do. You buy a combination power supply/switching relay. It comes in one compact package. Mounts onto a standard 4" electrical junction box. This relay connects to wall or ceiling mounted sensors with 3 low voltage wires. You can run several sensors on one relay in the case of a larger area. When they sense movement they close the circuit and then after an adjustable time delay setting and after sensing no more movement - open the circuit. Wattstopper and Lutron are just two of the players in this field. Search occupancy sensors. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Old 10-21-12, 12:01 AM
I just wanted to make this clear .So the component which controls the power from the software is called RELAY ??

Old 10-21-12, 12:11 AM
Group Moderator
Basically yes. In your case if you were to start from scratch. You would use an opticoupler or optoisolater. It usually comes in an 8 pin IC chip form. It has an LED and a switching semiconductor in it. Your logic would activate the LED with 5 volts and the switching semiconductor would control a relay. The relay is a device that use a small amount of current to control a much larger one.

Old 10-21-12, 12:18 AM
And this just last question ? how many sensors are there which we can use to detect presence of human form.

Old 10-21-12, 12:31 AM
Group Moderator
If you were to use an off-the-shelf product like the wattstopper I think it's around 5 remote sensors. I left you two links to the types of units I'm discussing.

Ceiling Sensors

Power Packs

Old 10-21-12, 12:53 AM
Ok thanks a lot for the help . really helped me .

Old 10-21-12, 01:16 AM
Group Moderator
Any time.....feel free to write back in this forum or send me a PM through the board for more help.