Newbie Question about wiring

Old 11-03-12, 12:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie Question about wiring

Hello,
I bought a new ceiling light. Looked easy in store, so I decided to buy it to give it a try. Instructions say : connect black to black, white to white and ground (bare or green) together.

BUT, on my old light when I pulled it down, it has two whites that are taped together and then connected to one black wire that is screwed to the light fixture screw and two teal (possibly green) connected to light fixture screws. Any ideas?

Should I connect the two taped whites to the white wire on the new light, black to black and the two teal looking wires to the bare copper wire??? What has me confused is the two teal looking wires are connect to the old and the whites are taped together not connected.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jayson

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-12, 01:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the light controlled by a switch? What is the wiring at the switch?

Basically discard the short black pigtail, use a wire nut to connect the whites together, and use a wire nut to connect the "other colored" wires to the black of the light. I Don't see a junction box. If there isn't one you will need to add one.

Old 11-03-12, 02:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it is controlled by a switch a single black wire and single white wire at switch.
Name:  IMAG0364.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  25.3 KB

Connect the "other colored" wires to the main black and the black of the new light? It would be 4 wires all together?

Yes, there is a junction box. Just hard to see in pics. What do I connect the bare copper wire from the new ceiling light to?
Name:  IMAG0365.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  17.6 KB

Thanks again, Jayson

Old 11-03-12, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
That junction box need a box extender like a BE1R to bring it flush to the drywall.

Is it possible that paint has changed the insulation colors on the wires?

Old 11-03-12, 08:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Based on the switch wiring the instructions I gave you for wiring may be wrong unless there is a junction box somewhere. Is this the only light on the switch? Do you have a multimeter or test light (but not a non contact tester)? Are there other wires in the ceiling box not connected to the light that you haven't told us about? What color screw is the "other color" pair of wires connected to? It seems to be silver. Are the screws on the opposite side brass colored?