Replacing hard-wired programmable timer switch

Old 11-03-12, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing hard-wired programmable timer switch

I am replacing an in-wall timer switch and wanted to use the Honeywell RPLS730B. The current wiring looks like end of run as I have three wire coming in and nothing going out. This timer requires a neutral and I have a neutral coming in.
I was reading the instructions online for this timer before buying it and had a question.
The instructions say not only that you need a neutral, but specifically that This Switch Cannot Be Used If There Are Not At Least 2 White Wires Joined By A Connector Inside The Electrical Box.
As this is end of run I only have the one white wire.
My question is electrically does that make sense that this could possibly not work with one white wire? Wouldn't this still work with the one white Neutral wire or could that really make a difference?
I just wanted to understand electrically if this could matter before buying it.
Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-12, 02:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have three wire coming in and nothing going out
Do you really mean two conductors and a bare or green ground? Is there a black and a white wire on the existing device? If so you do not have a neutral.

Old 11-03-12, 08:29 PM
It is 3 wires (black, red, white) plus ground. The current timer there has the white wire connected to neutral and then the line and load connections each have either the black or the red.

Old 11-03-12, 09:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The instructions say not only that you need a neutral, but specifically that This Switch Cannot Be Used If There Are Not At Least 2 White Wires Joined By A Connector Inside The Electrical Box.
In most older electrical installations the only time you had a neutral at the switch was if you had power to the switch first. One indicator of this was two or more whites wire nutted together. What they were describing was how to be sure you had a neutral. They were not saying you needed two white wires. What you have is just fine.

Old 11-04-12, 09:14 AM
Great. Thank you very much for the reply. It is much appreciated.