Lighting suggestions for large, low ceiling basement

Old 11-05-12, 12:18 PM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Lighting suggestions for large, low ceiling basement

I'm still in the planning stages of finishing out basement, but have now come to start looking at lighting.
The basement currently is wide open, unfinished, and uses a random mix of florescent light fixtures with a couple incandescent lights in for good measure (previous owners). Current lighting sucks, with bright in some areas, dark on others.

The catch, the unfinished ceiling is 77" at the lowest (79" at the tallest). ~50% of the floor joists in the ceiling are 24" center to center. The North end and south end of the house is 12" center to center (upgrade done by a previous owner to support the tile floor).

The layout will be mostly open concept, except the mechanical/laundry room. For the open area, any suggestions on light fixtures that would be efficient, and not an obstacle for someone in the 6'5" range?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-12, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
Sounds like cans are the best option for not losing any height but I don't particularly care for them as general lighting, I think of them as being good for illuminating specific areas.

Maybe something on the walls which bounces light off the ceiling (I'm envisioning you having finished the ceiling with drywall and painted it white for this suggestion)?

Old 11-05-12, 12:42 PM
Sounds like cans are the best option for not losing any height but I don't particularly care for them as general lighting, I think of them as being good for illuminating specific areas.

Maybe something on the walls which bounces light off the ceiling (I'm envisioning you having finished the ceiling with drywall and painted it white for this suggestion)?
You had the same thoughts as I did.
I'm thinking a dozen or so wall mounted lights with pot lights as filler. Not a real fan of pot lights, but there is not a lot of head room to spare.

The mechanical room will be florescent lighting more then likely.

Old 11-08-12, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Finished ceiling or open joists? Aesthetics a consideration, or just good lighting?

If the answer is "Open joists, just good lighting," I would measure the distance between the joists - inside edge to inside edge - and look for fluorescent fixtures that fit inside that space.

Old 11-09-12, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
Recessed mounted in a low ceiling will result in the cone of light being smaller than normal since it cannot spread out as far. You would need to use more of them to get even lighting.

Old 11-09-12, 06:53 AM
pcboss,
That is already an issue with the lights that are there now.
Oh the joys of low ceilings. There are about 15 randomly placed fixtures, and there is some bright and dark areas still.

Old 11-09-12, 08:56 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Just a though, a hotel that I have done some work for has wall mounted florescent sconce lighting fixtures that are 48" long to illuminate the interior hallways. Gets the light down below ceiling height, are mounted on the wall so they are not in the way and would probably do a decent job of lighting up the area. They are somewhat decorative and the bulbs are behind a diffuser so you don't see them.

Old 11-09-12, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
For overhead lighting, if you don't have room between the joists for 2'X4' fixtures, it sounds like you certainly have room for 1'X4' fixtures, without losing any ceiling height.