Suz1234: Change Ceiling Fan To Light

Old 11-17-12, 03:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suz1234: Change Ceiling Fan To Light

I'm running into the same problem with replacing my ceiling fan with a light. The ceiling fan light was controlled by a light switch and the fan was controlled by a chain. The fan could be on while the switch is off.

When I removed the ceiling fan four white wires were connected to the ceiling fan white wire and four black wires were connected to the ceiling fan black wire. There was also a black wire connected to the ceiling fan ground wire.

The ceiling fan is disconnected. So to recap - I have four white, four black and a mystery fifth black wire that I thought was ground, but my dad says no.

I tried hooking up the light with every possible combination using the four black and four white wires:

3black, 1black to light black, 1white to light white, 3white
2black, 2black to light black, 2white to light white, 2white

I can get the light to either be off or always on, but I can't get it to be powered by the switch. (Just a simple on/off switch, no dimmer or anything.)

Please help!

Thanks, Suz

Last edited by ray2047; 11-17-12 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-12, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Changed Wire Colors

Suz, welcome to the forums! Now, as I understand it, you have removed the ceiling fan and separated all the wires, right. you didn't take a picture of it as you were taking it down, right? So we have to start from "in the beginning...".
The black wire you say went to the ground should not exist. All grounding wires are either bare, or green with some exceptions, so black is not good.
What you had was a constantly hot lead to the black wire of your ceiling fan making it hot all the time and therefore working off a chain. The blue wire from your ceiling fan was operated off a switch loop, meaning current was sent down a white wire to the switch where it returned on a black wire. Do you have any white wires bundled together in the ceiling box? Or did you undo them, too? It's OK, it just makes it more difficult.
If you could, post a picture of the wires in the ceiling box so we can see what you have. Also, with the power off, pull the light switch that controlled the light and take a picture of the switch and it's wiring.
We'll get you going. It may take a few minutes.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-17-12 at 04:32 PM.