Adding a Ceiling Light

Old 11-25-12, 06:57 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding a Ceiling Light

Hi everyone. As I was googling around trying to find a solution to my issue, threads from this forum continually came up and seemed to be the most helpful. As a result, I figured I would join up and enter the fray.

I'll try to keep my issue short, I want to add a ceiling light to a room with a switch that controls two outlets. I've already fished the line to from the switch to the newly installed ceiling box. However, I then realized there isn't constant power at the switch.

I created the diagram below. As you can see, both right side tabs on the outlets are broken.

So, how can I remove the switchability and provide constant power at the switch for my ceiling light?

I really appreciate any help.

Lou

Old 11-25-12, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
If you want to convert the outlets to always live and just make the switch control the ceiling light - that's do-able. Is that what you want ?

Old 11-25-12, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
I'm going to assume yes to my question and post the changes.

Turn off the power
You'll need to locate the recpt. box where the switch connects to the circuit.

Remove the white wire from the switch - we are going to convert this to a neutral for the light.

At the recpt. where that two wire connects - you'll need to look at those connections. The white should go to what is always live and the black should go to the recpts. They may have those colors switched.

Now you'll need to move what was the white switch wire and connects it the neutral connection which is now feeding neutral to the recpt.

You'll need to connect the black wire from the switch to the always live line. You will also need a tap from that always live connection to refeed the outlets.

Is that understandable ?

Old 11-25-12, 07:30 PM
L
Great, thanks for the quick reply! I found where the switch connects, at outlet 2. So, at the outlet, I will disconnect the switch white from the always live blacks, hook it up to the outlet 2's neutral (white), then hook the switch black to the always live blacks, and re-feed where that came from with an always black. It's almost too easy! I kid.

I don't think I would have ever figured that out on my own. I really appreciate it. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow after work and report back.

Old 11-25-12, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
No problem......glad to help.

Old 11-25-12, 07:49 PM
L
PJ...it worked!!!

You're a magician. I can't thank you enough...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: