recessed cans thermal sensor

Old 12-09-12, 05:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
recessed cans thermal sensor

Hello I put up (2) 4 inch IC recessed cans over a bathroom vanity. I installed them buy cutting up the floor boards in the attic above the bathroom, putting in new constuction cans, then reinstalling the floor boards. When I finished i installed two 40W A19 standard bulbs, because that was the cheapest style bulb the can allowed. The bulbs keep turning off and on. I usually experiencce this when someone puts too high of a wattage in a can. But this can allows 40w, A19 bulbs. Basically my question is, are R20 bulbs designed to deflect heat downward, therefore solving my problem (it allows me to put up to a 50w R20). Or is my problem more likley the fact that the cieling joices are 2x6's (actually 5 and a half inches) and the can is 5 and a half inches. So there is not even a quarter inch between the top of that can and the floor board. If this is the case, I can just remove the floorboards over the cans. Or do the R20's actually make that much of a difference that it will solve my problem.

Old 12-09-12, 07:10 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
What do you have on it for trim?

Bud

Old 12-09-12, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The R-20's have a reflector in them that will deflect the heat out of the fixture.

Will it solve your problem......I don't know. You may just have to try them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: